A television series based on the John Wick universe is in development. Starz announced at the Television Critics’ Association’s winter press tour that they and Lionsgate are working on a series called The Continental, based on the inner workings of the international hotel chain that caters to assassins and hitmen/women. The premium network promises that the series will maintain the fast-paced action and sly sense of humor of the John Wick films. It’s said the series will be based on a hyper-real version of Los Angeles.
Chris Collins (The Man in the High Castle) will be the showrunner and write the series, with the premiere episode helmed by John Wick co-director and John Wick: Chapter 2 director Chad Stahelski. Both men will executive produce along with Keanu Reeves, David Leitch, Derek Kolstad and Basil Iwanyk. Leitch was the other co-director on the first film, while Kolstad has been the screenwriter for both films and Iwanyk has produced. Leitch is currently directing Deadpool 2.
This isn’t the first we’ve heard of the franchise moving to television. Reports last year said a prequel was in the works, but there is no indication of whether the Continental will take place prior to the films or concurrently. Also there is a prequel comic series being done by Dynamite Entertainment.
A third John Wick film is set to be in theaters May 17th, 2019, and Lionsgate picked up the rights to a script called The Ballerina that is intended to be worked into the universe, as well.
- Chad Stahelski Gives Pretty Promising 'Highlander' Reboot Update; TV vs Film
- Keanu Reeves and Daniel Dae Kim Join Netflix's 'Always Be My Maybe'
- Alex Winter, Keanu Reeves ARE Returning as Bill & Ted for 3rd Film
- 'The Division' Film Gains Deadpool 2 Director David Leitch
- Lionsgate Developing Blair Witch TV Series for Studio L
- Chad Stahelski Will Be Coming Back to Direct John Wick 3
- Marvel Gets 2 New Funko Products Featuring Deadpool and Venom