Few things are as instantaneously recognizable as John Williams iconic Star Wars compositions. Having created each sweeping score for the saga since the first in 1977, Williams is more intimately familiar with the galactic conflict films than perhaps anyone else.
It has been a topic of some discussion over the last few years, whether or not Williams would be finishing off the Skywalker-centric final third trilogy with Star Wars: IX. It looks like that’s been answered today however, in an interview with Variety about the upcoming Oscar nominations.
“I would very much like to complete that,” Williams said to Variety while speaking about finishing out the main Star Wars saga with JJ Abrams‘ Star Wars: IX due out next year. We also know that John is writing a theme for the Han Solo solo film, Solo: A Star Wars Story from pick-up director Ron Howard. (If you’ll recall, the original director team of Lord and Miller were fired by Kathleen Kennedy and LucasFilm before completing the film, so Howard was brought in to finish it) John Powell is scoring Solo, but has said he’ll be incorporating the new Williams theme into his score.
Williams has the second most Oscar nominations of any person in the history of the Academy Awards with 50, and the possibility of him gaining at least one (The Post) if not two (Star Wars: The Last Jedi) more is high. Walt Disney has the most still, with 59, but John has the most of any living person. Expect the Oscar nominations to be revealed on January 23rd, and the awards ceremony on March 4th.
Williams (85 years young) has always been prolific in the film music world, and it’s only right that he be the one to close the chapter of the Jedi tomes with the yet untitled XI.
- Alden Ehrenreich Talks Lord and Miller's Departure on 'Solo'- Sudden but not Unexpected
- Happy Birthday, John Williams: Bleeding Cool Staff Talks Favorite Williams Pieces, Scores
- Not Surprising- We May Get A Han Solo Solo Movie Super Bowl Trailer
- Official Synopsis for Solo: A Star Wars Story Is Here, Teases [SPOILER] First Meeting
- Let's Talk About the 2018 Golden Globes: Predictions in Major Categories
- John Williams Will Write Theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Outlander Season 3, Episode 9 Has New Music And Opening Images
- Happy Death Day Review: One Of The Better Time Loopers
- Hans Zimmer Live, The Composer's Orchestral Rock Concert
- Blade Runner 2049 Gains Composer Hans Zimmer