Why waste time leveling Tokyo for the millionth time when you can upgrade your stomping grounds to include the entire planet? While probably not the basic premise that the proposed trilogy’s creators had in mind, it’s where we find ourselves with Netflix‘s new anime, Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters.
Set for release on the streaming service on January 17th, the film’s international trailer sets up the premise: 20,000 years on the future, Godzilla has free reign over all of Planet Earth; but when some of Earth’s denizens return, a war begins to finally determine the fate of the planet.
Godzilla Kessen Kido Zoshoku Toshi (Godzilla: Battle Mobile Breeding City) is set to be the second film in the proposed trilogy; and will continue the struggle between Earth’s last survivors and Godzilla himself. The film also includes an appearance from one of Godzilla’s coolest Kaiju: Mecha Godzilla.
In the year 2048, the human race is forced to leave Earth after decades of losing against Godzilla and other giant monsters. They take a twenty year journey to another planet called Tau Ceti e, but upon arrival, they discover that the planet has become uninhabitable. As living conditions on their ship deteriorate, a young man named Haruo spearheads a movement to return to Earth and take it back from the monsters. The ship successfully makes the return voyage, but the crew discovers that twenty thousand years have passed and Earth’s ecosystem has evolved, with Godzilla reigning atop the new food chain.
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters was released in Japan on November 17th, 2017; and is set to be released worldwide on Netflix beginning January 17th, 2018. The project is directed by Kobun Shizuno and Hiroyuki Seshita, with Toho Animation and Polygon Pictures handling production duties. The film’s voice cast also includes: Yuuki Kaji, Takahiro Sakurai, Mamoru Miyano, Junichi Suwabe, Kana Hanazawa and Tomokazu Sugita.
- Acceleration of Suguri 2 Finally Gets a Release Date
- Director Dan Trachtenberg Confirms ‘The Boys’ Production Under Way - May 25, 2018
- NFL Owners’ Controversial Decision, Watchmen “Remix”, Who’s on Twitch, and More [The Weekly Static s01e41] - May 25, 2018
- This Is Spelling; There Are Rules: The A-Z of the 2018 Scripps National Spelling Bee - May 25, 2018
- Siren Songs s01e10: Bleeding Cool’s Mer-Mazing Season Finale Live-Blog! - May 24, 2018
- Good Morning, ‘Hair Live!’ NBC Says Hello to 2019’s Spring Musical - May 24, 2018