Actress Kate Beckinsale is going from Underworld to underground in the new drama-thriller The Widow, an eight-episode original series from Harry and Jack Williams (Fleabag) for Amazon and ITV. Directed by Sam Donovan and Olly Blackburn, the series is set to be executive produced by Williams’s Two Brothers Pictures, with Eliza Mellor producing.
The Widow isn’t Beckinsale’s first venture with Amazon: the actress recently starred in Marc Webb’s The Only Living Boy in New York, which was released on Amazon in August 2017; and in Amazon’s Love & Friendship, based on Jane Austen’s novel Lady Susan.
“We are thrilled to continue our existing relationship with Kate Beckinsale on the heels of her incredible performances in Amazon Studios’ critically acclaimed films. Harry and Jack Williams have created a powerful story, which will be brought to life by one of the world’s most talented actresses, and we are excited to bring this thrilling series to Prime members around the world.”
– Brad Beale, Vice President, Worldwide TV Content Acquisition, Amazon Prime Video
The Widow tells the story of Georgia Wells (Beckinsale), a woman who has cut herself off from her previous life but is pulled back to the face that world after seeing her supposedly deceased husband on the news. Over the course of season, the series will take Wells into “the depths of the African Congo, where danger and revelation will greet her at every turn, as she stops at nothing to get to the truth about her past.”
“[Kate Beckinsale] perfect for the role of Georgia in what is, as always, brilliant, compelling and surprising storytelling from Harry and Jack Williams. We’re very pleased to have secured the series which is an ITV original commission and co-production with Amazon.” – Polly Hill, Head of Drama, ITV
The Widow will be distributed globally by All3Media Intl; premiering on ITV in the UK, and Amazon in the US and across more than 200 countries and territories.
- Original ‘Sesame Street’ Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch Puppeteer Caroll Spinney Retiring - October 17, 2018
- Madison, Behold ‘Return to Murder House’ in FX’s American Horror Story: Apocalypse Preview - October 16, 2018
- The Gang Gets All “Inception-y” in FXX’s It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Preview - October 16, 2018
- BlacKkKlansman’s Paul Walter Hauser Joins ‘Cobra Kai’ Season 2 - October 16, 2018
- Kidding s01e06 ‘The Cookie’: Jeff’s Identity Crisis Has Some Company (REVIEW) - October 16, 2018