Last week we posted a behind-the-scenes video for The Greatest Showman. In the clip, Hugh Jackman and director Michael Gracey set up a video clip from the table read that convinced the studio and backers to go forward with the film. Jackman, who was recovering from minor skin cancer surgery on his nose, was told not to sing by his doctor. Yet when it came time for the song From Now On, Jackman couldn’t contain his emotions and belted out the song with his fellow cast mates. Now they’ve released a second video from that table read and Gracey is back along with Keala Settle to talk about how she had to step up and step out to sing This Is Me.
I’ve been to a few table reads, though never one for a musical, and most of the time they’re pretty laid back. The actors act, but it’s not all that emotional. But this one seemed to be the exception to the rule. No one had heard the song written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul at that point. So this was their first chance to not only here it, but to here it done by Settle, who was nervous and finally stepped up as Gracey had been pushing her to do. She gets so emotional at one point that she ends up holding Jackman’s hand just to keep going. I hope that when the film comes out on Blu-ray, they include the full table read.
The Greatest Showman is in theaters now.
- 5 Things We Want to See in Krypton Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Gotham Season 5, the Final Season - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Black Lightning Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Supergirl Season 4 - June 30, 2018