Despite a growing controversy and backlash from some segments of fandom, Star Wars: The Last Jedi is on track to make another $100 million during the 4 day Christmas weekend. The movie brought in an estimated $24.68 million on Thursday, putting its domestic total at $321.3 million. If the movie performs slightly above expectations, it could top $400 million by the time the baby Jesus Skywalker is laid in a manger. Globally, the movie will approach $700 million by the end of the weekend.
In second place this weekend is Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, Jack Black, and Nick Jonas. Jumanji is set to close out its six-day opening with $59.1 million, with $42.5 million coming from the four day weekend. Pitch Perfect 3 is on track for a $35 million opening. With no blockbuster competitors set for release next week, The Last Jedi will likely hold the top box office spot for a third weekend in a row.
The rest of the top ten this weekend, according to estimates from Box Office Pro, are filled out with Wolverine prequel The Greatest Showman at $14.4 million, Ferdinand at $9 million, post Republican tax plan apocalyptic disaster flick Downsizing at $7.5 million, Coco at $6.7 million, Darkest Hour with $6.2 million, Father Figures at $5.2 million, and fish sex porno The Shape of Water at $5 million.
We’ll be providing increasingly more frequent box office updates this weekend as we become more desperate for content while everyone with real jobs takes a vacations.
- James Robinson to Translate Arabson’s The Terrible Elisabeth Dumn Against the Devils in Suits for Image in October - August 16, 2018
- CM Punk’s Former Best Friend, Colt Cabana, is Suing Him for $1.2 Million - August 15, 2018
- To Sue Former Aide Omarosa, Donald Trump Hires Hulk Hogan’s Lawyer from Gawker Lawsuit - August 15, 2018
- Carnage Set for Return in Web of Venom: Carnage Born - August 15, 2018
- Senators Elizabeth Warren and Brian Schatz Demand Investigation Into Marvel’s Ike Perlmutter, “Mar-a-Lago Cronies” Over VA Influence - August 15, 2018