The full weekend estimates are in, and Star Wars: The Last Jedi has exceeded its expected $205 million take to earn an estimated $220 million at the domestic box office.
That makes it the second biggest opening weekend of all time (unadjusted for inflation, of course), behind only the previous entry in the franchise: Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which earned a mind-blowing $248 million during its opening weekend in 2015. The Last Jedi is one of only four films to make over $200 million at the box office in its opening weekend, along with The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, and Marvel’s Avengers.
Ferdinand, starring pro wrestler John Cena, opened to $13 million due to its bizarre decision to go up against The Last Jedi. Coco followed by adding another $10 million to its tally, with Wonder and Justice League rounding out the top five. For Justice League, the success of The Last Jedi must be a bitter pill. Justice League‘s box office was undoubtedly hampered not only by bad reviews, but by months or maybe even years of (admittedly deserved) bad press. The Last Jedi, however, earned stellar reviews, despite any flaws, earning a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The audience score for The Last Jedi is 56%, illustrating either a divide between critics and moviegoers or a massive troll campaign.
Internationally, The Last Jedi earned another $230 million dollars, putting its global total at $450 million, making it the fifth-largest global opening weekend, behind The Fate of the Furious, The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. The movie has yet to open in China, and faces little competition. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is tracking for $45-$60 million in its opening next weekend.
- Funko Pop Versions of the Royal Family Coming in February
- You Can Now Preorder Prime 1 Studio's Insanely Cool Wonder Woman Statue and Bust
- SDCC v SLCC Comic-Con Trademark Battles Continues as Both Sides Prep to Go Back to War - January 17, 2018
- Trump Unveils Fake News Awards, Crashes GOP Website, Will Probably Rig Vote Anyway - January 17, 2018
- X-Men: Bland Design – Burn, Baby, Burn in Generation X #86 [Spoilers] - January 17, 2018
- X-Men: Bland Design – That’s One Way to Smuggle a Cell Phone in All-New Wolverine #29 - January 17, 2018
- X-Men: Bland Design – Making Santo Marco Great Again in Weapon X #13 - January 17, 2018