Following the expected but still shocking sale of most of the assets of 21st Century Fox to Disney this morning for $52.4 billion in stock, the quick-witted Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds was quick to post a humorous reaction on Twitter:
Apparently you can’t actually blow the Matterhorn. pic.twitter.com/2bEAAcZrUv
— Ryan Reynolds (@VancityReynolds) December 14, 2017
As a result of the sale, the rights to make movies based on the X-Men and Fantastic Four will return to the Marvel family, according to Disney’s announcement. The X-Men rights include Deadpool, which means that Reynolds could soon find himself playing the Merc With a Mouth in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
But in the spirit of taking jokes too seriously, a hallmark of the internet, we couldn’t help but feel that something was not quite right about Reynolds’s photo. We consulted with Disney theme park expert, Bleeding Cool’s own Lauren Sisselman, and she explained:
First off, that’s Deadpool in Disney World. Second, Matterhorn is in Disneyland. GET YOUR DISNEY RIGHT, RYAN REYNOLDS!
Did Reynolds goof? Is this the kind of disrespect for continuity we can expect in the new Marvel/Fox Cinematic Universe? Or is Reynolds’s joking tweet actually deep meta commentary on the foreboding sense that, as Fox’s superhero franchises, which have often explored off-genre territory in films like Deadpool or Logan, or the upcoming New Mutants, merge with the more formulaic but successful Marvel Cinematic Universe, some crucial characteristics of the Fox franchises could change in unexpected ways, and not necessarily for the better?
We leave that up to you readers to decide.
- Jean Grey Gets Weird With Nightcrawler in X-Men Red #9 Preview - October 19, 2018
- Would Thor Make a Good Loki? A Preview of What If? Thor #1 - October 19, 2018
- Improbable Previews: An HR Violation for the Mutant Liberation Front in Uncanny X-Men #1 - October 19, 2018
- Does Logan Make a Promise He Can’t Keep in Return of Wolverine #2? (Preview) - October 19, 2018
- Skottie Young Plays the High-Stakes Game of Footsie with Uncanny X-Men #1 Variant - October 19, 2018