Kersplatt Comics and Collectibles of Cairns City in Australia is the latest comic book store to close. In a post to customers, they stated:
Despite the incredible support and loyalty of our amazing friends and customers, the downturn in retail, increased competition and my own ongoing heath issues this year have finally all culminated to the point that, by the end of December, KERSPLATT! Comics and Collectables will be forever closing it’s doors.
Owner Malcolm Semmens told the local press that he opened his store six years ago when his girlfriend couldn’t buy any Buffy comic books where they lived — and neither could anyone else.
But that the last 12 months had been tough, and so the store is closing. And in typical fashion, everything must go…
As is common these days, the store will close at the end of the year. And their shop fittings are also for sale.
Bleeding Cool covers the closing – and opening – of comic book stores. We’re more likely to discover the former rather than the latter, as the result of an active fanbase, so please let us know when a new store in your neighbourhood is opening as well as closing – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lying in the Gutters, 21st January 2018 – Kindness Works, Allegedly - January 21, 2018
- It Looks like DC Comics Didn’t Tell Chris Sprouse About Tom Strong Appearing in The Terrifics Either - January 21, 2018
- Deathstroke Vs. Batman – New Series by Priest and Carlo Pagulayan From DC Comics for April - January 21, 2018
- Kirby Comics Opens in Hanover, Pennsylvania, Makes the Front Page - January 20, 2018
- Al Ewing Has a “Most Awesome, Mind-Bending Miniseries Ever” Coming from Marvel Comics - January 20, 2018