Thanks for joining us for our second edition of Happy Trails!, Bleeding Cool’s live-blog of Syfy‘s Happy! and tonight’s second episode, ‘What Smiles Are For.”
So it looks like we’ve established some basic “ground rules” after last week’s debut episode: Christopher Meloni‘s Nick Sax is a cynical, alcoholic ex-detective turned hitman who gets a new “friend” in the form of Happy (Patton Oswalt), the imaginary friend of a young girl who’s been kidnapped by a psychopathic Santa (Joseph D. Reitman). Complicating matters is that Sax’s old boss, wealthy crime boss Francisco “Mr. Blue” Scaramucci (Ritchie Coster), wants him dead; and now that he thinks he’s in possession of a precious password, he really wants him dead. That’s a cue for Smoothie (Patrick Fischler), Mr. Blue’s right-hand torturer and resident expert in unpleasant interrogations.
Did I mention that Sax is left trusting old “friend” Det. Meredith McCarthy (Lili Mirojnick), a resilient homicide detective who just so happens to also be in the pocket of Mr. Blue? Or that the little girl that was kidnapped is actually Sax’s daughter. Yeah – thought that might be important…
Less of a “formal review” and more of a “revap”-type (review/recap) thing, we’re covering the nitty and the gritty of the episode, along with some of my thoughts on what worked and what should’ve be left untouched by human hands. If you’re not familiar with the comic book series, then you should definitely keep that in mind as you keep reading or watching. If you know what’s coming, then spoilers probably aren’t going to be a big deal for you; but there may be some discussion (translation: rants) of either subtle changes or drastic differences that you might want to avoid until you see them for yourself.
HAPPY! is based on New York Times best-selling author Grant Morrison and Darick Robertson’s graphic novel of the same name. The series follows Nick Sax (Christopher Meloni, Law & Order: SVU) – an intoxicated, corrupt ex-cop turned hit man – who is adrift in a world of casual murder, soulless sex and betrayal. After a hit gone wrong, his inebriated life is forever changed by a tiny, relentlessly positive, imaginary blue winged horse named Happy (Patton Oswalt).
● This page should update…but just to be on the safe side I strongly suggest you refresh every now and then to make sure because I’ve been known to ramble often and quickly.
● If you’re going to social media to talk about what we’re talking about, go with: #bclive and #liveblog.
● Don’t forget to check out some of the cool Happy! stuff we have waiting for you below.
● So that’s it! Check-back here for some interesting stuff…our “pre-game” starts at 9:00 pm ET, with “The Big Show” starting at 10:00 pm EST!
Get caught up on last week’s debut episode with our recap of ‘Saint Nick’ here:
Syfy lets the cast of Happy! tell you what the show’s really about:
And here’s the first episode in its entirety, courtesy of Syfy:
- Supernatural: Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s John Winchester Returning for 300th Episode - December 12, 2018
- Black Mirror: Miley Cyrus Kinda Confirms Season 5 Role to Howard Stern - December 12, 2018
- Stargirl: Community’s Joel McHale Cast as Golden Age Starman in DC Universe Series - December 12, 2018
- I Am Not Okay With This: The End of the F***king World’s Jonathan Entwistle Adapting Coming-of-Age Comic for Netflix - December 12, 2018
- True Detective Season 3: Mahershala Ali‘s Timeless Search for Truth (TRAILER) - December 12, 2018