The Phoenix: A Weekly Story Comic is one of the greatest things British parents can buy their children. And Scholastic will be picking up the prodigious publication in the New Year. But before then, a little early treat.
The Christmas post has been known to delay and disrupt deliveries in the run up to the festive feast. So this year, they have decided to send out #313 at the same time as #312, a week early — giving you this handy-dandy guide for which order to read them in.
Expect this to arrive at homes around December 23rd. And then bed in for a long, cold, hard wait until January 6th for #314…
The Phoenix is a British weekly story comic for children aged 6–12, published by David Fickling Comics Ltd. Unlike other British children’s comics, such as The Beano and The Dandy, the comic does not exclusively feature humour strips. It also features serialise adventure stories such as The Lost Boy and Pirates of Pangaea, as well as humour strips such as Star Cat, Evil Emperor Penguin, Looshkin and Bunny vs Monkey. The comic has also featured text stories (such as extracts from books like Charlie Small and Julius Zebra) and puzzles. There is also a non-fiction strip called Corpse Talk where the creator Adam Murphy digs up a famous dead person and interviews them about their life.
Like a number of comics (2000AD has Tharg the Mighty and Sparky had the Sparky People), The Phoenix features a fictional editorial team, a group of cartoon animals led by feline editor-in-chief Tabatha Inkspot. The main members are Bruno Barker, reporter, Ellie Waggins, reporter, Scoop Yapski, in charge of the big news page, Iris, the photographer, Quincy, the scientist and Governor Carcass, in charge of addressing mistakes in printing or plot…
And you can subscribe for yourself — or your kid — right here.
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 21st January 2018 – A “Great Thaw” Taking Place over Marvel’s Comics - January 21, 2018
- Lying in the Gutters, 21st January 2018 – Kindness Works, Allegedly - January 21, 2018
- It Looks like DC Comics Didn’t Tell Chris Sprouse About Tom Strong Appearing in The Terrifics Either - January 21, 2018
- Deathstroke Vs. Batman – New Series by Priest and Carlo Pagulayan From DC Comics for April - January 21, 2018
- Kirby Comics Opens in Hanover, Pennsylvania, Makes the Front Page - January 20, 2018