The Comics Place in Downtown Bellingham, WA has been operating for 36 years. Back in the day, a certain young artist called Erik Larsen used to help out in busy periods. Sadly, he left comic book retail to draw Savage Dragon — he could have had a fine career as a comic book retailer!
And refuting the adage that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, they are now opening a second store, Moon Base Games and Comics in non-downtown Bellingham, Fairhaven, in what is fast becoming a super nerdy alley in their town. The store sits right next to a video game bar/lounge and a game store that’s possibly opening nearby early next year.
The area is being re-dubbed by some (including Moon Base) as Nerdhaven.
We can say it, you can’t… or maybe you can. It’s all in the phonetics.
Of late, Diamond Comic Distributors have been pushing successful stores to open in new locations. It’s considered easier to encourage a store to open again elsewhere than for someone to start from scratch, and Diamond has made special deals for backstock available to stores that take that next step.
Even if you are a 36-year-old store, there’s always a possibility to do similar!
Bleeding Cool regularly marks the passing of comic book stores, but also the birth of new ones. Do let us know the state of comic book stores in your community: contact email@example.com.
- Lying in the Gutters, 21st January 2018 – Kindness Works, Allegedly - January 21, 2018
- It Looks like DC Comics Didn’t Tell Chris Sprouse About Tom Strong Appearing in The Terrifics Either - January 21, 2018
- Deathstroke Vs. Batman – New Series by Priest and Carlo Pagulayan From DC Comics for April - January 21, 2018
- Kirby Comics Opens in Hanover, Pennsylvania, Makes the Front Page - January 20, 2018
- Al Ewing Has a “Most Awesome, Mind-Bending Miniseries Ever” Coming from Marvel Comics - January 20, 2018