CCXP is happening in Brazil at the moment, and it looks like there was a panel for the upcoming superhero horror movie New Mutants. New Mutants is looking like one of the more interesting projects coming out in 2018, as it is putting superheroes into an entirely new genre. Despite the fact that the movie is coming out in April we don’t know that much about it. Collider got the details from the CCXP panel and they reveal some interesting new story details.
- Boone talked about how the comics dictated the movie. The film had to be a horror movie that happened to have superheroes inside of it.
- Boone said New Mutants absolutely takes place in the same universe as X-Men, Logan, and Deadpool, and we’d know a lot more after we see the movie.
- Co-writer Knate Lee said they drew real inspiration from the Demon Bear saga by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz.
- When picking the characters that would appear in the first film, Boone said they picked the characters that meant the most to them. But fans can look forward to Warlock in the sequel.
- When talking about the film they joked around by calling it New Mutants Begins.
- The group talked about how they didn’t change the DNA of the characters. They are true to the comics and the powers are the same.
- Boone and Lee revealed they are thinking about filming the sequel in Brazil.
- Boone went on to say Sunspot’s dad will play a role in the franchise. If you’re not familiar with his dad, his name is Emmanuel da Costa and in the comics is in bed with the Hellfire Club.
- Boone stressed how important it was to them to find a Brazilian actor to play the Brazilian role (Sunspot). If you’re not familiar with his powers, Sunspot has the ability to absorb and channel solar power.
- The movie isn’t about the end of the world and the New Mutants having to save everyone. It’s about trying to save your friends and is performance-driven.
- The film follows the characters as they are just discovering their powers while also dealing with hormonal changes from just being teenagers.
- When Boone was writing the first draft of the script, he sent Sienkiewicz the draft and ideas for what he wanted to do. After he read it, he told Boone they had it figured out. But he also stressed the movie is not an exact copy of the comic. They used what was done before as inspiration and created their own thing.
- The group talked about how the reason the mutants are locked up is due to the powers being terrifying and not awesome. While people might think having mutant powers would be the best thing that could ever happen to them, what about the time before you know what your powers are and how to control them? Before you even know who you are because you’re still growing up? New Mutants explores these themes.
- Boone talked about the importance of the actors felling comfortable around one another because he believes it helps the performances. To make that happen, they rehearsed for three weeks and lived at the same hotel together for four months.
- They all talked about making sure the comics were always around on set for inspiration.
Summary: Five young mutants, just discovering their abilities while held in a secret facility against their will, fight to escape their past sins and save themselves.
X-Men: New Mutants, directed by Josh Boone, stars Anya Taylor-Joy, Alice Braga, Maisie Williams, Charlie Heaton, Blu Hunt, and Henry Zaga. It will be released on April 18th, 2018.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson Comments on Quicksilver’s Return for Avengers 4 - October 19, 2018
- Netflix Cancels Marvel’s Luke Cage After 2 Seasons - October 19, 2018
- Daredevil Season 3: 3 New Behind-the-Scenes Photos - October 19, 2018
- Check Out Some Armored Sharks in These New Aquaman Images - October 19, 2018
- Disney’s Jungle Cruise Gets Delayed 9 Months - October 19, 2018