Today is the premier of Freedom Fighters: The Ray, a new six-part animated series debuting on CW Seed. The Ray was introduced last week on the Crisis on Earth-X crossover event. He is an Earth-1 hero who is now on Earth-X helping the resistance to battle the Reichmen. The series is supposed to give us his origin, which includes Dark Arrow and Overgirl, as well as a dark version of the Flash. Not sure yet whether this is the Flash we met in the crossover. We will meet new heroes like Phantom Lady and Black Condor, as well as seeing some familiar faces in Vixen, Vibe, and Red Tornado.
Below is an interview with executive producer Marc Guggenheim talking about the project. It’s an extended version of the interview that airs during the Vixen animated movie on the CW. There is also a trailer for the episode and then a special video talking about the Trevor Project. The Ray, played/voiced by Russell Tovey, is the first openly gay superhero to lead his own series, and part of the story includes him coming out to his family. The Trevor Project provides councilors to help the LGBTQ youth community with crisis intervention and suicide prevention.
The first six-minute episode of Freedom Fighters: The Ray is available here. I will be reviewing it a bit later today.
- 5 Things We Want to See in Krypton Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Gotham Season 5, the Final Season - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Black Lightning Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Supergirl Season 4 - June 30, 2018