The disappointing box office performance, unlikelihood of making a profit, and critical panning of Justice League will have some major repercussions for DC Films, a new report from Variety claims. Jon Berg will reportedly leave his role as head of DC Films and become a production partner with Roy Lee instead. Geoff “Jeff” Johns, however, won’t be promoted, according to the report. Instead, he’ll stay in his role as DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer. Additionally, DC Films could become fully integrated with Warner Bros. studio, including losing their own separate building.
If Variety’s report is to be believed, and we’ll note that they’re one of the most reputable outlets in the entertainment journalism business (low bar, we know), Warner Bros. is pissed off at Berg and Johns for screwing up the DCEU. “Going forward, his contributions to the films may evolve, and could be more advisory in nature,” Variety says of Johns’s role, also implying that he may not get producer credits on future films. Johns and Berg were both “intimately” involved in the production of Justice League, and the film has made about a third of the box office of its Marvel counterpart, Avengers, and with a much higher budget and other costs that will likely cause Warner Bros. to take a loss on the film.
Warner Bros. is reportedly particularly “frustrated” about DC’s insistence on bringing Snyder back for Justice League after his previous movies failed to live up to expectations, and the studio found Snyder’s choice of villains in 1960s rock band Steppenwolf to be “faulty.” The studio is also “upset” that each DC film “seems to be making less money than the one that proceeded it.” In the wake of Justice League‘s stunning failure, fans have clamored for Warner Bros. to release a Zack Snyder cut of Justice League, but Warner Bros. apparently feels that less Zack Snyder, to the tune of no Zack Snyder at all, is what’s needed for the DCEU.
The report also notes that Batman will probably be recast for The Batman, though Ben Affleck may play the character one more time in Flashpoint. Variety also notes that one of the upcoming films on DC’s schedule is the nonexistent Sinbad genie movie Shazaam, but we assume that’s a typo and they’re talking about Shazam.
- DC-Loving Long Beach Mayor Baffled By Deleted Justice League Snyder Cut Superman Scenes
- Superman's Black Suit, Key Component of Snyder Cut, Revealed in Justice League Bonus Scene
- Flash Standalone Film 'Flashpoint' May Have Found Its Directors
- Website Finally Launches Outlining Plan to Turn Dream of Justice League Snyder Cut into Reality
- So, About Those Black Suit Superman Scenes in Justice League...
- Warner Bros. Crosses $2 Billion at the Box Office, but with Zack Snyder Cut, Could It Be $3 Billion?
- Tom Hanks Cult Film The 'Burbs Gets an Ultimate Edition From Scream Factory
- Georges St-Pierre Forfeits UFC Middleweight Title, Future Up in the Air
- Halloween Recruits Andi Matichak as Cast Starts to Take Shape
- The Zack Snyder Cut of Justice League Was Inside of Us All Along [Opinion]
- Rumor: Warner Bros Considering Joss Whedon Extended Cut of Justice League
- Defiant David Ayer Completely Unrepentant About Oscar-Winning Film Suicide Squad
- GOP Tax Plan Could Have a Negative Effect on Future DCEU Box Office
- Competing Fan Petition Demands All Joss Whedon Cut of Justice League
- Man Who Helped Zack Snyder Screw Up DCEU in Talks to Direct He-Man Flick
- DC Fans Start Petition For Warner Bros To Release Zack Snyder's Cut Of Justice League Because Of Course They Did
- Everyone Was Wrong About Justice League's Box Office Take; It Was Actually Lower
- At Least One Reviewer Loved Justice League, And His Name Is Jim Lee
- Justice League's Sub-$100M Opening Is Officially The Lowest In DCEU History
- DC-Loving Long Beach Mayor Blast Critics, Defends Zack Snyder In Self-Described Justice League Rant
- Ben Affleck's Best Hope To Save His Post-Justice League Career Is To Defect To Marvel For A Daredevil Reboot
- Justice League's Secret Rotten Tomatoes Score Is Reportedly 48%
- The Fate of Cyclops Revealed in Next Week’s Extermination Finale - December 14, 2018
- The Ice King Apology Tour Commences in 1st Look at Adventure Time: Marcy & Simon #1 - December 13, 2018
- Marvel Reveals Phil Noto Interlocking Variants for 80th Anniversary - December 13, 2018
- Lela Gwenn and Matthew Dow Smith Launch Bad Luck Chuck at Dark Horse in March - December 13, 2018
- Joe Illidge Explains Post-Valiant Future in Most Polite Open Letter Ever - December 13, 2018