The Game Developers Conference, or GDC if you will, have announced the next game in their Classic Games Postmortem series. This year they’re going with the hilarious and groundbreaking The Bard’s Tale and The Bard’s Tale II hosted by co-creator Dr. Michael Cranford. And since The Bard’s Tale IV is deep in development, this session of the Postmortem will also focus on why the first two games are still relevant to game developers in 2017. The Postmortem will also give us a behind-the-scenes look at the development of the classic RPGs.
Topics discussed in the series include game difficulty, the indomitable influence of Wizards of the Coast’s Dungeons & Dragons, why Cranford wove elements of Christianity into the design (and why he found it amusing that no one questioned it), among numerous other insights.
Previous Classic Games Postmortem honorees include Dues Ex, The Oregon Trail, Seaman, Diablo, and Rez. You can find all of the Classic Games Postmortem at the GDC Vault. Notable talks from years past also include Eric Chahi on Another World, Will Wright on Raid on Bungeling Bay, and even Ron Gilbert looking back on Maniac Mansion. The GDC have been putting together their Postmortems since 2010, so there’s 7 years of presentations out there for you to watch. They’re awesome watches if you have some time to spare, especially for anyone interested in a closer look at how game development actually works.
- Eidos Montreal Studio Head Says Deus Ex is Not Dead
- Alterac Pass is Live in Heroes of the Storm - June 19, 2018
- 7 New Tracks and Weeny Issi Classic Races Roll Out in GTA Online This Week - June 19, 2018
- Warframe’s New Limbo Prime is Now Available on PC and Console - June 19, 2018
- DeathGarden Enters its Closed Beta Test Phase - June 19, 2018
- Call of Duty: WWII is Getting a Third DLC Expansion Later This Month - June 19, 2018