There had been reports last week that the impending PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Xbox release might be reaching for 60FPS on the Xbox One X. This all made sense, as the console has better hardware, so it should be able to run better than the original Xbox One, right?
Well, it’s not going to be the case it seems. Speaking on Twitter, Brendan ‘PlayerUnknown’ Greene said that the game will run at 30FPS across the Xbox hardware, walking back previous statements. He tweeted:
While I previously stated PUBG would run at higher FPS at XGP launch on 12/12, I want to clarify that PUBG will run at 30 FPS across all @Xbox One devices. We’re constantly refining the game & exploring options to increase FPS, but this early in dev, we’re unable to confirm more.
— PLAYERUNKNOWN (@PLAYERUNKNOWN) December 1, 2017
It’s not clear what the motivation here is. Is it that the consoles just can’t run it at that speed or is it due to gameplay reasons? The common consensus is that if you have higher FPS, you have a distinct competitive advantage. This means everyone with an X, would have one over on S or original Xbox One players. Personally, I think this is alright. The appeal of playing PUBG on Xbox is the controlled environment and the reasonable expectation that everyone is on similar hardware. If that fairness takes the form of 30FPS, it’s a reasonable compromise for me.
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Developer Wants Better IP Protection from Copycats - December 15, 2017
- Company of Heroes 2 Is Free on Humble Bundle Until Tomorrow - December 15, 2017
- Rift Developer Pulls $100 Loot Box After Fan Backlash - December 15, 2017
- Team Ninja is Making an Announcement This Weekend, Stoking Dead or Alive 6 Fires - December 15, 2017
- Destiny 2’s Holiday Event, the Dawning, Starts Next Week - December 15, 2017