There had been reports last week that the impending PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Xbox release might be reaching for 60FPS on the Xbox One X. This all made sense, as the console has better hardware, so it should be able to run better than the original Xbox One, right?
Well, it’s not going to be the case it seems. Speaking on Twitter, Brendan ‘PlayerUnknown’ Greene said that the game will run at 30FPS across the Xbox hardware, walking back previous statements. He tweeted:
While I previously stated PUBG would run at higher FPS at XGP launch on 12/12, I want to clarify that PUBG will run at 30 FPS across all @Xbox One devices. We’re constantly refining the game & exploring options to increase FPS, but this early in dev, we’re unable to confirm more.
— PLAYERUNKNOWN (@PLAYERUNKNOWN) December 1, 2017
It’s not clear what the motivation here is. Is it that the consoles just can’t run it at that speed or is it due to gameplay reasons? The common consensus is that if you have higher FPS, you have a distinct competitive advantage. This means everyone with an X, would have one over on S or original Xbox One players. Personally, I think this is alright. The appeal of playing PUBG on Xbox is the controlled environment and the reasonable expectation that everyone is on similar hardware. If that fairness takes the form of 30FPS, it’s a reasonable compromise for me.
- Experimenting With The New Hotness: We Review The Xbox One X
- Hitman’s Sapienza Level is Yours to Keep for Free if You Pick it Up Before April 3rd - March 21, 2018
- Sea of Thieves Getting New Gameplay, Mechanics and Cosmetics to Quell Content Concerns - March 21, 2018
- Report Claims Fortnite Mobile Made Over $1 Million in it’s First Three Days - March 21, 2018
- Hyper Light Drifter is Set to Launch on the Nintendo Switch Later This Summer - March 21, 2018
- Mark of the Ninja Remastered Coming to Nintendo Switch Later This Year - March 20, 2018