Matt Hardy‘s transformation into “Woken” Matt Hardy is nearly complete. Following reports that WWE was planning to create a new character for Hardy, with new character here defined as a character exactly the same as Hardy’s “Broken” character from Impact Wrestling except owned by WWE, the pro wrestling company has posted a video of Hardy “more #WOKEN than ever” on their social media. The video comes from a match at a WWE House Show in Salt Lake City, and shows Hardy fully in character as his Bro… er, Woken gimmick.
The saga of Hardy’s battle for the rights to act like a lunatic on WWE TV has been raging since he and his brother Jeff Hardy left Impact Wrestling at the beginning of the year. Matt Hardy and his wife Reby Hardy engaged in an epic Twitter feud over the rights to the gimmick, which the Hardys say they created, against Impact, Dutch Mantell, new (at the time) (but now deposed) Impact executive Jeff Jarrett, and Impact parent company Anthem Sports & Entertainment executive Ed Norholm. Behind the scenes, a legal battle was also taking place over the rights, as we were constantly reminded of by the Twitter battle.
But on the latest edition of Monday Night RAW, Hardy seemed to snap after a match with Bray Wyatt, and in response, Impact’s Ed Nordholm issued a statement that seemed to indicate they would no longer pursue the battle over the rights, freeing Hardy up to use his new character in WWE.
And it has begun. And more Bro… er, Woken aspects could be making their debut soon as well.
Check out the video below:
Prior to the show, Hardy also posted a video of himself and his brother, Brother Nero, getting ready:
— #WOKEN Matt Hardy (@MATTHARDYBRAND) December 2, 2017
- The Hulk Just Learned #MarvelDeclassified Drops Tomorrow, and You Won’t Guess What it Makes Him Want to Do - July 22, 2018
- Guardians of the Galaxy Star Dave Bautista on James Gunn: Whatcha Gonna Do When #Cybernazis Come for You? - July 22, 2018
- Uncanny X-Men Returns in November - July 22, 2018
- Chris Claremont Writes Magneto for X-Men Black Weekly One-Shots - July 22, 2018
- First Look at Steve McNiven’s Interior Artwork for Return of Wolverine #1 - July 22, 2018