The holidays are usually known as a time for families to come together, so it seems like a pretty good time for Netflix to announce the remaining members of The Hargreeves Family for their series adaptation of Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba‘s The Umbrella Academy. Tom Hopper (I Feel Pretty), Emmy Raver-Lampman (Hamilton), David Castañeda (Jane the Virgin), Robert Sheehan (Misfits) and Aidan Gallagher (Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn) will be rounding out the main cast. They are set to join previously announced Ellen Page (Inception), who is coming on board in the role of Vanya.
The Umbrella Academy series is based on the graphic novels of the same name created and written by Way, illustrated by Bá, and published by Dark Horse Comics. Netflix’s adaptation follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes (The Umbrella Academy) — The Monocle, Spaceboy, The Kraken, The Rumor, The Séance, Number Five, The Horror, and The White Violin — as they work together to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams due to their divergent personalities and abilities.
“I am thrilled that The Umbrella Academy has found a home at Netflix. I couldn’t think of a better place for the vision Gabriel Bá and myself had when creating the comic, and cannot wait for people to experience that world as a live action show.” – Gerard Way
Hopper (Game Of Thrones, Black Sails) is set to play Luther/Spaceboy, leader of The Umbrella Academy; Raver-Lampman (Hair, Wicked) as Allison/The Rumor, who can alter reality with her lies; Castañeda (Blindspot, Switched at Birth) as Diego/The Kraken, the reckless and rebellious member of the family; Sheehan (Mortal Engines, Mute) as Klaus/The Séance, who can speak with the dead when shoeless; and Gallagher as Number Five/The Boy, the family’s time-travelling, perpetually young brain. They will be accompanied by Page (X-Men: Days of Futures Past, Hard Candy) as sister Vanya/The White Violin, who appears to manifest no super powers but has an amazingly strong interest in music.
Universal Cable Productions is set to produce the series, with Steve Blackman (Fargo, Legion) serving as executive producer and showrunner. Way, Bluegrass Television and Dark Horse’s Mike Richardson and Keith Goldberg are set to executive produce a pilot script from Jeremy Slater.
- WATCH: First Trailer for Duncan Jones's 'Mute' on Netflix
- Netflix Orders 2 Seasons of 'Riverdale' Offshoot 'Sabrina'
- Silk Swings Into Sideshow Collectibles Mark Brooks Line
- Punisher Gets an Awesome Looking New Mondo Poster by Jock
- Bleeding Cool Recaps The Walking Dead Season 8: Episodes 5-8 - February 25, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Recaps The Walking Dead Season 8: Episodes 1-4 - February 24, 2018
- iZombie Season 4: A Look Back at Season 1 (The Weekly Static: Extras!) - February 24, 2018
- HBO’s Paterno: A Look at Al Pacino as Controversial Penn State Coach - February 24, 2018
- A.P. Bio: NBC Moves up Glenn Howerton’s Class Schedule by an Hour - February 24, 2018