According to the latest reports, the Nintendo Switch was an incredibly popular item over the Black Friday- Cyber Monday weekend. Which isn’t too surprising since the console has been in high demand since its launch in March. There were also quite a few bundles going last weekend, which also helped drive sales, despite the fact that the console was not available at a discount.
According to Adobe Digital Insights (via Markets Insider), the Switch was the best-selling product among online retailers on Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday. While both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were available at a discount, they didn’t make much of a dent in the Switch’s lead.
“Even we had not expected such a record-breaking streak,” global banking investment firm Jefferies analyst Atul Goyal explained in a note to clients. “This strong sales is going to create a robust installed base, which is where games software will monetize over the next 5-7 years.”
Nintendo’s stock is up 88.5 percent for the year and is currently trading at $414.50 USD. For a company that was considering dropping console production entirely, this is amazing news. Especially when you consider just how badly the Wii U flopped.
On the software front, the clear champions of Black Friday were Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus and Middle-earth: Shadow of War.
And joining the long line of popular and acclaimed first-party games Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which launches tomorrow. Several third party games have also made the jump to the Switch with Bethesda’s DOOM and Skyrim hitting earlier last month.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Gets a Big Update from Nintendo
- Nintendo Will Fix the Common Blade Bug in Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Next Update
- Check Out This Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Pyra Figurine
- Wolfenstein II Will Be Coming To Nintendo Switch Next Year
- It's-a Me, Build-A-Bear Super Mario!
- Zelda BotW DLC Expansion The Champions Ballad Live NOW
- Trying Wireless With Some Flair: We Review The ROCCAT Leadr Gaming Mouse
- Jagex Opens Up Third-Party Publishing Initiative Ahead of Gamescom - August 15, 2018
- The 2018 Call of Duty World Championship Starts Today - August 15, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Has Invaded the New York City Subway System - August 15, 2018
- 4A Games and Deep Silver Open Up Pre-Orders for Metro Exodus - August 15, 2018
- Activision Shows Off New Spyro Reignited Hurricos Gameplay - August 15, 2018