Culture clash comedy Re-Training Day is looking to set up shop at Fox, with the network giving a pilot commitment to the comedy from Steven Cragg and Brian Bradley (developers/executive producers, Uncle Buck). Written and executive produced by Cragg and Bradley and based on a segment from NPR’s Planet Money, the series pilot will also be executive produced by Ed Helms (The Hangover) and Mike Falbo via Pacific Electric, as well as Storied Media Group’s Todd Hoffman, Dennis Kim and Whitney Berry. Universal TV will be the project’s production home.
Re-Training Day centers around Kim, a progressive graduate from the Berkeley School of Public Policy who, after her husband moves them back to his Missouri hometown, takes a job as the director of local career center. But when her well-meaning, liberal ideas slam up against her employees’ and clients’ conservative attitudes, she enlists the help of Dan, an out-of-work factory worker, to act as her cultural translator. Together they form an unlikely friendship and begin building a rickety bridge across the cultural divide.
Based on the hit movie of the same name, Uncle Buck (Mike Epps) is a fun-loving but irresponsible guy who needs a job and a place to stay. His brother and sister-in-law need some help around the house. And they just might be the answer to each other’s problems.
Starring: Mike Epps (Survivor’s Remorse), Nia Long (Empire, NCIS: Los Angeles), James Lesure (Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce), Iman Benson (Alexa & Katie), Sayeed Shahidi (Switched at Birth) and Aalyrah Caldwell (Code Black)
Uncle Buck wasn’t Bradley and Cragg’s only previous venture into television, with the script for How We Live also going to pilot at NBC. Getting their start as writers on late-night programs MadTV and Saturday Night Live, the pair also served as consulting producers on ABC’s Happy Endings and hospital sitcom Scrubs.
- Preacher Previews: Cassidy Talks Tulip with Jesse, Unrequited Love with Gran’ma [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Week] - June 22, 2018
- Time’s Up for NBC’s ‘Timeless’ as Network Cancels Series for Second Time - June 22, 2018
- Joseph Gilgun Talks Cassidy, What Makes a Scene Work, and Social Media [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Week] - June 22, 2018
- Paramount Television, Anonymous Content to Adapt Shari Lapena’s Novel ‘The Couple Next Door’ to Series - June 21, 2018
- Preacher: 2 Seasons, 8 “What the ?!?!?” Moments [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Week] - June 21, 2018