Disney is really, really into remaking their animated films recently, and the next one slated (after Lion King) is Mulan. Liu Yifei (also known as Crystal Liu) will be picking up the sword to play Hua Mulan, daughter and warrior. Disney went on reportedly a worldwide search to find the perfect person to play the feisty and honorable lady, settling on newcomer to American cinema Yifei.
Niki Caro (Whale Rider, Zookeeper’s Wife) will be directing the film for Disney. Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (Jurassic World, Avatar sequel) are penning the script, after being brought onto the team in 2015 to rewrite the existing spec.
The original animated Mulan was released in 1998 featuring Agents of SHIELD‘s Ming-Na Wen as the title character. Lea Salonga was the singing voice of Mulan, having previously voiced Princess Jasmine for the House of Mouse for Aladdin released in 1992.
Caro has been less than forthcoming on the musical aspect of the film, having said in interviews earlier this year that “no songs right now, much to the horror of my children,” but quickly adding that “we’ve never talked about songs, and no decision has been made.”
The rest of the cast isn’t set yet, and we’re on pins and needles waiting to see who gets tapped for the film.
Disney is eyeing a possible 2019 release date for Mulan.
- The Wait Is Over! Watch The Avengers: Infinity War Trailer Now!
- How Coco Beat China's Censorship With Feelings
- Rick and Morty's Justin Roiland Apologizes For Szechuan Sauce Fiasco
- Disney's Live Action Mulan Re-Make To Start Shooting January 2018
- Mark Brooks Reveals Final 2 New Mutants: Dead Souls Covers - February 23, 2018
- ‘Vampire Hunter: D’ TV Series Gets Comics Writer For Pilot - February 22, 2018
- Let’s Talk About America’s Next Top Model Cycle 24 Episode 7 - February 22, 2018
- [Oscars] The Academy Reveals 10 More Presenters for 90th Awards Show - February 22, 2018
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 12 Comic Happening at Dark Horse, Joss Whedon Returning - February 21, 2018