The Star Wars: Battlefront II story continues to roll on and on and on, seemingly with some new light or twist added to it daily. Well, to add to that, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen has come out and said that despite the controversy and that the company is listening to the community, it does not intend to change strategy on microtransactions.
Speaking at the Credit Suisse Annual Technology, Media and Telecom Conference (via GI.biz), Jorgensen said:
“We’re not giving up on the notion of MTX. We’re learning and listening to the community in terms of how best to roll that out in the future, and there’s more to come as we learn more. But I would say we’re certainly not changing our strategy. We think the strategy of deeply engaging games, keeping the community together, and allowing people to play those games with new content coming via events over time is critical to the future of our business. We feel like we’ve nailed that in the sports games, and we’ll continue to try and find the best model that works in the non-sports games.”
At the conference, EA also spoke about why it decided to go with more gameplay-affecting changes rather than simply cosmetic ones:
“So if you did a bunch of cosmetic things, you might start to violate the canon. Darth Vader in white probably doesn’t make sense, versus in black. Not to mention you probably don’t want Darth Vader in pink. No offense to pink, but I don’t think that’s right in the canon.”
For me, this seems like the wrong messaging to be putting out there right now. I really do want EA to figure this out and create compelling games that are sustainable, too. They are clearly very capable of making great games, but this messaging feels incredibly bullish. Here’s hoping they figure it out.
- EA Play Announced – and It’s Bringing the Next Battlefield and Anthem with It - February 22, 2018
- You Can Dress as Gordon Freeman in Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition if You Pre-Order - February 22, 2018
- Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom Gets 10 Minutes of Footage Showing Off Boss - February 22, 2018
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance Has Sold 1 Million Copies - February 22, 2018
- Warcraft 3 Patch Drops As Remaster Rumours Begin to Hot Up - February 22, 2018