Star Wars: The Last Jedi is tracking for an opening weekend domestic box office take of over $200 million, according to early estimates. That could make it the second largest domestic opening for a Star Wars film for all time, behind The Force Awakens‘ $247 million — that is, if it doesn’t surpass even that.
The box office force is strong for The Last Jedi, with anticipation high amongst fans and critics. It’s a stark contrast with Justice League, which rolled out to lackluster response and poor reviews, leading to an underwhelming $94 million opening weekend take. If Star Wars does as well as projected, it will make as much in its opening weekend as two Justice Leagues, which has got to sting for hardcore DCEU devotees already seething over Justice League’s box office blunder.
Some might ask, what does Justice League even have to do with this? To that, we would answer: see the comments section below. But also, the Star Wars prequels were a trilogy of movies that also suffered from fan backlash and poor reviews, but the Star Wars franchise has rebounded to be one of the most successful in the world. Justice League fans should take heart from knowing that the DCEU can eventually recover from even these tough times.
All Warner Bros needs to do is sell it to Disney. Oh, and probably add some porgs.
- Everything You Knew About Dark Phoenix Saga was… Hey, Stay Away From Our X-Men, Marvel! - December 11, 2018
- Now Everything You Know About… Okay, These Marvel Teasers Are Getting Ridiculous - December 11, 2018
- Gail Simone Asks: Who Are the Hotshots? - December 11, 2018
- Now Everything You Knew About the Avengers Finding Captain America in the Ice Was Wrong Too - December 11, 2018
- Dav Pilkey’s Dog-Man to Party Like It’s 1991 With 5 Million Copy Print Run - December 11, 2018