Rian Johnson is in France doing press for the upcoming release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. While there, he went ahead and confirmed that the runtime of the film is 2 hours and 30 minutes, including credits. That will make this the longest Star Wars film to date. IGN France tweeted out the details:
— IGN France (@IGNFRA) November 17, 2017
Yes, that tweet is in French.
Some of the other highlights (and again, these are translated from French):
“Disney gave us a real freedom of writing. It was something very organic. For me, it was like when I realized my old movies.”
On Mark Hamill and his input on the script:
“Mark Hamill was offered many ideas for the script, but I have to tell him that he had to keep it canon […]» I wanted to understand above all that had become Luke Skywalker that he attaches and better identifies with the character.”
He also said his greatest memory was watching the scoring sessions by John Williams; that the first script and the final script had very little changes between them (only small details); and that Rogue One director Gareth Edwards makes a cameo. He would not confirm any other people who have been rumored to make an appearance in the film; however, cameos from Prince William and Prince Henry have now been confirmed by actor John Boyega.
He also says that there will be “moving” tributes to the late Carrie Fisher through scenes of the film. I would imagine there may be a dedication during the credits, as well.
Johnson was recently announced as the creator of a whole new trilogy of Star Wars films separate from the Skywalker saga. He will direct the first film and then shepherd the other two along. We don’t know what those stories will look like yet — but from the look of The Last Jedi, I feel comfortable in saying that Star Wars is in good hands with Johnson.
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Takes Over Entertainment Weekly's December Issue
- Final Girls Film Coming From Universal Pictures
- Pose: FX's First Look At Transgender Cast From New Ryan Murphy Series
- Justice League Review: Warner Bros. Finally Achieves Some Justice
- A Wrinkle In Time Drops New Poster, New Trailer Debuts This Sunday On ABC
- Neal Adams Calls For Auschwitz Museum To Return Paintings To Dina Babbit
- Flight 410: ABC Lands Plane Thriller From The Last Ship's Jill Blankenship
- The Full Comic Creator Credits From The Justice League Movie
- Lee Pace Talks Revolt, Broadway, And Halt And Catch Fire
- Op/Ed: Why Scientists' Attempt To Contact Aliens Could Help Justice League's Rotten Tomatoes Score
- My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Is Hitting YouTube Today
- Justice Smith Will Star In The Pokemon Detective Pikachu Film
- Stripes: CBS Brings Bill Murray's Comedy To Series, Ivan Reitman Directs
- Jack White Talks To Gary Oldman For Interview Magazine's New Issue
- Tommyknockers Film On The Way From James Wan and Universal - April 20, 2018
- Equalizer 2 Gets a Brutal But Awesome First Trailer - April 20, 2018
- Spider-Man Gets One Heck of a Cool Infinity War Hot Toys Release - April 20, 2018
- Ant-Man and the Wasp Funko Pops Are on the Way - April 20, 2018
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Friday, April 20 - April 20, 2018