It’s a pretty good year to be author Philipp Meyer. With the series adaptation of his novel The Son having been renewed for a second season at TNT comes word that USA Network has ordered a series adaptation of his other published work, American Rust. Brian McGreevy and Lee Shipman (The Son) penned the pilot for the series with Meyer; and all three will also serve as executive producers on the project moving forward. David Gordon Green (Red Oaks) is attached to direct the premiere episode and will also executive produce.
American Rust is set in a small Pennsylvania steel town and explores the rise and fall of a crime-riddled local community as seen through the eyes of a sheriff with a history of violence. First published in 2009 by Spiegel & Grau, here’s a rundown on Meyer’s novel:
“Set in a beautiful but economically devastated Pennsylvania steel town, American Rust is a novel of the lost American dream and the desperation–as well as the acts of friendship, loyalty, and love–that arises from its loss. From local bars to train yards to prison, it’s the story of two young men, bound to the town by family, responsibility, inertia, and the beauty around them, who dream of a future beyond the factories and abandoned homes.
Left alone to care for his aging father after his mother commits suicide and his sister escapes to Yale, Isaac English longs for a life beyond his hometown. When he finally sets out to leave for good, accompanied by his temperamental best friend, they are caught up in a terrible act of violence that changes their lives forever.”
Michael De Luca Productions’s Michael De Luca and Elishia Holmes, as well as Platform One Media’s Quan Phung, Elisa Ellis, and Courtney Conte are involved, and the series will be produced as a joint effort between Universal Cable Productions and Platform One Media.
- HBO Greenlights Damon Lindelof‘s Watchmen “Remix” to Series – Plus New Synopsis, Teaser - August 17, 2018
- ‘Star Wars Resistance’ Trailer, Release Date Revealed by Disney Channel - August 17, 2018
- Castle Rock Season 1, Episode 6 ‘Filter’ Review: “This Place Was His Church” - August 16, 2018
- USA Network Orders Bourne Franchise Spinoff ‘Treadstone’ Direct to Series - August 16, 2018
- TNT Orders ‘The Alienist’ Follow-Up Limited Series ‘The Angel of Darkness’ - August 16, 2018