Sony’s Spider-Man sans Spider-Man Spider-verse is expanding its web, with Morbius the Living Vampire the latest character to score his own spinoff film. THR reports that a Morbius flick is in the works, with the writers of Power Rangers, Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama, behind the script. In the comics, biochemist Dr. Michael Morbius becomes afflicted with vampire-like powers as a result of science gone bad and complains about it a lot, though it’s unknown how Sony will adapt the property.
Sony has found its superhero movie prospects vastly improved since teaming with Marvel to produce Spider-Man: Homecoming and bring the wall crawler back home to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. However, since then, the studios have had some disagreement as to whether or not Spider-spinoffs would also be a part of Marvel’s Universe.
Yes, definitely, said producer Amy Pascal at first. No, said Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige. Well, maybe, said Pascal. Definitely not, said Feige. So you’re saying there’s a chance, asked Pascal. Eventually the two managed to agree that the characters might exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but there would be nothing on screen explicitly confirming this, sort of like LGBTQ characters in Marvel movies.
Additional Spider-Man spinoffs in the works include Venom (starring Tom Hardy) and Silver and Black (starring Silver Sable and Black Cat).
- Halloween Sequel Details From Co-Writer Danny McBride
- Snoke Deluxe Star Wars Black Series Figure Ultimately Disappoints
- Spider-Ham Brainstorms Battle Cries for the Web Warriors in Next Week’s Spider-Man: Enter the Spider-Verse #1 - November 16, 2018
- War of the Realms, Bigger Than Secret Wars, Rocks the Marvel Universe in April - November 16, 2018
- Santa is Down! Santa is Down! Next Week’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #37 - November 16, 2018
- Beast is Too Busy to Save the World in Next Week’s Uncanny X-Men #2 - November 16, 2018
- Iceman Gets an Uncanny X-Men: Winter’s End One-Shot in February - November 16, 2018