Star Wars Rogue Leaders: Rogue Squadron was never released on the Wii, but that doesn’t mean the game is gone and forgotten. In deed, Factor 5 president Julian Eggebrecht went on the record with IGN about how he’d be thrilled to see the game come to the Nintendo Switch.
The original game was comprised of modified versions of Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader and Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rebel Strike running on a new graphics engine at 60 fps. “It’s something in some way, shape, or form, should definitely come out of the archives,” Eggebrecht said. He went on to say that the reason for the cancellation “should be out of the way nowadays.”
“I think it’s just about the willingness of probably us spending some time on it, Disney/Lucasfilm playing along with it, and probably EA must be a little in the mix,” he said of the potential to release the game.
“My immediate dream would be to first port basically what we had on Rogue Squadron Wii to the Switch,” he said, citing the input characteristics of the Switch and its similarities to the Nintendo Wii. “Rogue Squadron Wii pretty much supported every single input device. So in spirit it’s very comparable to what Nintendo did with Mario Odyssey, or even more so Mario Kart.”
Eggebrecht said the Switch’s inputs, from Joy-con to Pro Controller, would be a great match for almost any section of the game, but the lighsaber battles still require motion controls, which are very much a part of the Nintendo Switch. On the Wii, “the whole subsection with the duels, you could only play with a Motion Plus, because we needed 1:1 mapping,” he told us. So it isn’t unrealistic to imagine the game would hold up on the Switch. And indeed, if the project got the green light to release on the Switch, Eggebrecht says it would only be a matter of getting “the gang together.”
- Nintendo Offering A Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Steelbook Through Best Buy
- Three Game Consoles Make Time's "Gadget Of The Year" List
- Microïds Release A New Nintendo Switch Trailer For 'Gear.Club Unlimited'
- 505 Games Debuted an Animated Teaser for ‘Indivisible’ at Anime Expo - July 9, 2018
- The Halo Championship and Gears Pro Circuit are Teaming Up This Weekend - July 9, 2018
- Electronic Arts Acquires Indie Dev Studio Industrial Toys - July 9, 2018
- Fortnite’s Mysterious Rifts are Now Spawning Item Drops - July 9, 2018
- Holographic Popstar Hatsune Miku Joins the Cast of Master of Eternity - July 9, 2018