A new corner of the Star Wars universe is finally being revealed. It was announced today on StarWars.com that Rian Johnson, the director behind the upcoming Star Wars: The Last Jedi, will be creating his own trilogy of Star Wars films apart from the current saga.
“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”
These new films are going to be “separate from the episodic Skywalker saga,” and Johnson will “introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored,” which is something the other movies have been hesitant to really reach for.
“We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi,” Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. “Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”
There were a lot of rumors and speculation that Johnson was going to be the one to take over Episode IX because Lucasfilm and Disney seemed very happy with his work. It turns out they were even happier than we thought if they’re giving Johnson his own corner of the galaxy to play in. And finally, in lighthearted Star Wars fashion, from the announcement:
“No release dates have been set for the new films, and no porgs were available for comment.”
- Stephen King Fans, Grab This Soundtrack Collection While You Can
- Ghostbusters Fans, These Are The Figures You've Been Waiting For
- If You're An Evil Dead Fan, This Ashy Slashy Puppet Is A Must!
- The Punisher Season 1: They Are Hesitant To Label Frank And Karen’s Relationship - November 19, 2017
- Evangeline Lilly Wraps Up On The Ant-Man And The Wasp Set - November 19, 2017
- New Trailer For A Wrinkle In Time Shows Off A Beautiful Fantasy World - November 19, 2017
- Jeffrey Tambor Exits Transparent Amid Sexual Assault Allegations; They Were Planning To Write Him Off Anyway - November 19, 2017
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi TV Spot Shows Off Some New Footage - November 19, 2017