While Deadpool is often cited as the first time superheroes got the R rated treatment there were others before that. Blade is the forgotten child of the the superhero movies and they were R. They were good enough to spawn two sequels but when people think “superhero” they don’t picture a vampire. Another one was Kick-Ass, which came out in 2010, and its sequel, Kick-Ass 2 in 2013, but those are satire so some don’t think they count. The first movie was very well received and arguably was the movie that really solidified Matthew Vaughn as a top tier director (though his previous features of Stardust and Layer Cake are very good).
Mark Millar signed a deal earlier this year to bring properties to Netflix. However, the properties of Kingsman and Kick-Ass were not part of that agreement. That’s why the following tweet by Millar is so surprising.
Right, this brilliance won't write itself. Time to help get a press release together for the big Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl news next week… pic.twitter.com/Z2hxrTgt4B
— Mark Millar (@mrmarkmillar) November 9, 2017
There have been rumors about a third Kick-Ass movie for years and a Hit-Girl spin-off. However, the second movie was not as well received as the first one at the box office or by the critics. We haven’t heard much about this series since then but R rated superheroes are the thing to do now after Deadpool and Logan so we’ll have to see exactly what Millar is teasing.
- Millarworld Announces New Ongoing Hit-Girl Series With Kevin Smith On Second Arc
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle Gets Home Video Release In Time For Christmas
- Joshua Bassett Set to Star in High School Musical: The Musical for the Disney Streaming Service - October 17, 2018
- Arrowverse Crossover Elseworlds: First Look at Lois Lane, Black Suited Superman, and a Poster - October 17, 2018
- Daredevil Season 3: The Return of Wilson Fisk Featurette - October 17, 2018
- Demián Bichir Has Entered Negotiations to Star in Godzilla vs. Kong - October 17, 2018
- Spider-Man: Far From Home Wraps as Tom Holland Shares Some Images - October 17, 2018