It looks like Netflix’s live-action The Umbrella Academy series based on Gerard Way‘s graphic novels has just found one of its leads.
Ellen Page has been tapped to play Vanya, the strange one in the not-so-normal Hargreeves family. Vanya is the only one of the adopted children to not have any special powers or abilities, and is written in the graphic novels as a “meek and insecure wallflower” type. Vanya originally showcases no particular powers, other than an interest in music. The character is known to have written a book detailing her life with the Academy and her decision to leave within the series.
Page is no stranger to the superpower world, having played Kitty Pryde in the X-Men films.
The original Umbrella Academy series was illustrated by Gabriel Bá and written by Gerard Way. The Netflix series will begin with a pilot written by Jeremy Slater (FOX’s The Exorcist). Way will serve as an executive producer on the series.
The series is currently on course for a 2018 premiere on Netflix.
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle Gets Home Video Release In Time For Christmas
- Stephen King Fans, Grab This Soundtrack Collection While You Can
- Ghostbusters Fans, These Are The Figures You've Been Waiting For
- If You're An Evil Dead Fan, This Ashy Slashy Puppet Is A Must!
- Flatliners Review: Once Again, A Redo Is Dead On Arrival
- Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion Finally Coming From Gerard Way And Gabriel Bá In 2018
- Gerard Way And Gabriel Ba's Umbrella Academy Lands 10 Episode Season At Netflix
- Umbrella Academy May Have Found A Home At Netflix
- Gerard Way On Building A Home Studio And Planning Umbrella Academy For 8 Volumes, At WonderCon 2017
- 28 Photos from the Vikings San Diego Comic-Con Panel - July 20, 2018
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Getting Reboot, Joss Whedon Attached - July 20, 2018
- History Channel Releases Trailer for ‘Vikings’ During SDCC Panel - July 20, 2018
- Conan O’Brien Holds Auditions for Batgirl - July 20, 2018
- SYFY Releases Official Trailer for ‘Nightflyers’ Series - July 19, 2018