If initial reports on Thursday are true, fans of HBO‘s critically acclaimed, award-winning limited series Big Little Lies are going to be pretty excited over news regarding a second season. TV Line is reporting that sources confirm exclusively that HBO is looking to start production on Season 2 in Spring 2018. HBO declined to officially confirm, deny or comment on the potential new season.
Big Little Lies executive producer/writer David E. Kelley spoke to TVLine as recently as two weeks ago, and alluded to idea that s second season was nearing the scheduling stage:
“We’re kicking around ideas and trying to lasso the talent [and] get the band back together. It’s just a lot of logistical things. But I’m optimistic because everyone wants to do it. We feel we still have storytelling to do. No decision has been made yet, but we’re hopeful. Where we left it, I felt like it did open the opportunity for a lot more storytelling.”
HBO had high hopes for the series from the very beginning, to the extent that they asked the novel’s author Liane Moriarty to brainstorm an idea on how to potentially continue the show into a second season. Actresses/executive producers Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon were open to the idea of continuing the project from he beginning; and now even director Jean-Marc Vallée (who TV Line is reporting will not be directing Season 2) has come around on the idea of getting the band back together:
“It’d be great to reunite the team and to do it. Are we going to be able to do it, altogether? I wish. We’ll see.”
Adding more metaphorical fuel to the fire, Witherspoon is stepping back from astronaut drama Pale Blue Dot from Noah Hawley: a film that she was expected to produce and star in. Some speculate that Witherspoon backed away from the project because the shooting schedule would conflict with her work on Big Little Lies Season 2. Work on her newly-announced morning show drama series project with Jennifer Aniston for Apple is not expected to pose any shooting conflicts.
Interest in a second season blew up after a massive awards haul at this year’s Emmy Awards. The series would go on to add eight Emmys to HBO’s awards count, including: Best Limited Series, which earned Witherspoon a statuette as executive producer; and Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for Kidman.
- Stephen King Fans, Grab This Soundtrack Collection While You Can
- Ghostbusters Fans, These Are The Figures You've Been Waiting For
- Conor McGregor Jumps Into The Cage, Shoves Staff At Bellator 187
- If You're An Evil Dead Fan, This Ashy Slashy Puppet Is A Must!
- American Horror Story: Apocalypse Season 8, Episode 6 ‘Return to Murder House’ (End of Days! 806 Live-Blog) - October 17, 2018
- As The Boys Wraps Season 1 Filming, Did Karl Urban Confirm Season 2? - October 17, 2018
- The Real World: MTV Brings Reality Show Reboot to Facebook Watch - October 17, 2018
- Original ‘Sesame Street’ Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch Puppeteer Caroll Spinney Retiring - October 17, 2018
- Madison, Behold ‘Return to Murder House’ in FX’s American Horror Story: Apocalypse Preview - October 16, 2018