Filmmaker James Gunn is a gift to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and thankfully he knows we love to read his posts on social media. Today, it was a behind-the-scenes look at the construction of High Priestess Ayesha’s visually stellar dress from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
Actress Elizabeth Debicki (Man From U.N.C.L.E.) played the golden ruler of Xandar, the line between her gown and throne blurred in brilliant design elements. Costume designer Judianna Makovsky and production designer Scott Chambliss created the look, literally building both the garment and set piece around Debick.
In a post on his facebook, Gunn spoke a little bit about the process and shared some really neat behind-the-scenes images of the build:
THE MAKING OF A HIGH PRIESTESS
One of the most important design elements for me in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was High Priestess Ayesha’s gown and throne in the character’s first scene. It was important to me that the gown and the throne worked together as one object – which meant an unusual collaboration between costume designer Judianna Makovsky and production designer Scott Chambliss. Because it was so intricate we had to design the entire throne/gown around Elizabeth Debicki’s body. Every single texture and material was intricately considered. The work of the visual development artists under Andy Park as well as the post visual effects work of Chris Townsend and his team also deserve a shoutout. I really like the character of Ayesha (as well as the actress who plays her) and can’t wait to see more of her in the future.
He also posted a collection of photos, too:
- James Gunn Responds to Jodie Foster's Criticism of Superhero Movies
- James Gunn Says Hollywood Sexual Predators Connected To Mueller Russia Charges
- James Gunn Calls For Cease Fire In Marvel Vs. DC War
- James Gunn LOVED "Thor: Ragnarok", Here's What He Said
- Elizabeth Debicki, Pom Klementieff And Kurt Russell Talk Joining The Guardians Of The Galaxy
- ‘God of War’ Launch Day Event is About to go Live, Here’s How To Watch - April 19, 2018
- Nee Brothers May Be Directors for Masters of the Universe Film - April 19, 2018
- Netflix Almost Bought Landmark Theaters, Report Says - April 19, 2018
- ‘The Division’ Film Gains Deadpool 2 Director David Leitch - April 19, 2018
- Jack Parsons Series ‘Strange Angel’ Gets Release Date at CBS All Access - April 19, 2018