Thor: Ragnarok was finally released to theaters last weekend, and it was a huge hit, earning $121 million at the domestic box office. Even Zack Stentz, co-screenwriter of the original 2011 Thor film, was praising the movie on Twitter, only to be met with what he described as “Thorsplaining.”
you do realise the first thor movie was more than just him taking his shirt off?
— Will (@stanshockd) November 5, 2017
So when a dude explains the first Thor movie to the person who co-wrote it, is that called Thorsplaining? https://t.co/qKJrXsCyNj
— Zack Stentz (@MuseZack) November 5, 2017
Bleeding Cool generally tends to believe that the people who wrote the movies know what they’re talking about, but we did have to go back and fact check his claim. Was the first Thor movie really more than just Chris Hemsworth taking his shirt off? It’s certainly the scene we remember most. Let’s review.
Mmm. What were we talking about again?
Oh yes. IMDB claims that Thor’s runtime was one hour and fifty-five minutes, and the scene with Thor shirtless is only about 50 seconds long. So there must have been more going on in that movie than just Thor taking his shirt off… though we’re hard-pressed to think about anything else. It’s probably best to review the scene again, just to be sure.
Oh, are you still here? Sorry, we became distracted again.
Anyway, yes, Thor was indeed more than just Thor taking his shirt off. But did it really need to be? Watch the scene again, and you be the judge.
- First Look at DC Super Hero Girls Cartoon from Lauren Faust - May 21, 2018
- Check Out Amanda Conner and Dave Johnson’s Variant for Plastic Man #1 - May 21, 2018
- G. Willow Wilson on Gatekeeping Ms. Marvel’s Entry to the Marvel Cinematic Universe - May 21, 2018
- Terry Blas and Claudia Aguirre’s Hotel Dare Brings Magical All-Ages Amenities to BOOM! in 2019 - May 21, 2018
- Report: WWE’s Deal with Fox for SmackDown is Worth $1 Billion, but Show Might Go to 3 Hours - May 21, 2018