Putting aside the already annoyance people have for loot boxes in video games, the word coming out of the Star Wars: Battlefront II beta was that their system of “crates” was far more of a pain to get through. According to several reports on social media from players, the task of getting one was far more of a grind than you might expect and it turned players off when they saw the contents. A bit of an “I did all that and only got this?” kind of reaction. Apparently, Dice and EA both heard your complaints and issued this update to the system, which you can read some of the important points of below.
The Beta gave us a welcome chance to test all of our systems in action and tune things up for better balance. A few weeks back, we mentioned we were going to take another look at how the progression system works. After incorporating feedback from the Beta, we’re happy to share our plans for launch:
Epic Star Cards, the highest tier of Star Cards available at launch, have been removed from Crates. To help keep everyone on a level playing field, these Star Cards will primarily be available through crafting, with the exception of special Epic Star Cards available through pre-order, deluxe, and starter packs.
You’ll need to reach a certain rank to craft upgraded Star Cards. You won’t be able to buy a bunch of Crates, grind everything up into crafting materials, and immediately use them to get super powerful Star Cards. You can only upgrade the ability to craft higher tier Star Cards by ranking up through playing the game.
Weapons are locked behind specific milestones. While a select few will be found in Crates, the rest can only be attained by play. Want to unlock a new weapon for your Heavy? Play as a Heavy and you’ll gain access to the class’s new weapons.
Class-specific gear and items can be unlocked by playing as them. As you progress through your favorite class, you’ll hit milestones granting you class-specific Crates. These will include a mix of Star Cards and Crafting Parts to benefit your class’s development.
- EA Games Suspends Purchases In 'Star Wars: Battlefront II'
- An Online Petition Wants Loot Boxes Classified As Gambling
- EA Continues To Dig A Hole Over 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' Controversy
- EA Games Stepping Away From The Switch For A While
- More Reveals Within The 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' Launch Trailer
- Get A Look At The 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' Special Edition PS4
- You're Getting Less Than Ten Hours Of Story From 'Star Wars: Battlefront II'
- The Latest 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' Trailer Is Darkly Epic
- EA Wants You To Know There's A New 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' Trailer Tomorrow
- EA On Battlefront II's Loot Boxes And Beta Results
- Treyarch Adds Updates to Black Ops 4, Including Blackout Player Count - October 17, 2018
- The Fallout 76 Beta is Now Officially Online for Download - October 17, 2018
- The Stanley Parable Now Unlocks a Specific Anniversary Achievement - October 17, 2018
- Xbox and Taco Bell Have Partnered Again to Give Away Platinum Consoles - October 17, 2018
- Battlefield V Single Player Trailer Released - October 17, 2018