As a boy, Mike Carbonaro put himself through private school buying and selling comics. He launched a comic convention business in the seventies and from 1981 to 1997, ran the Queens comic store Continental Comics. In 1996, Mike began the Big Apple Convention Convention, later acquired by Wizard World. He created the New York Comic Book Marketplace in 2010, retired from comic convention organising in 2012 and became a buyer for Dave & Adam’s Cardworld.
Still, you can’t keep a Carbonaro down.
He is now is to open a new comic book store in Queens, New York, in November with co-owner Tony Carbonaro. And it has plans to be a lot more, reports Ewa Kern-Jedrychowska of DNAInfo.
Still unnamed (though current favourite is “WOWO IT”, the store’s location in Rego Park is planned to include an art gallery, with their first exhibit devoted to the 1939 World’s Fair sometime in late November, and host its very own comic conventions starting in December.
The 12,000-square-foot space will launch next month at 99-01 63rd Rd, previous home of a Pioneer supermarket two years ago.
As well as comics, the store will sell old coins, stamps, postcards, magazines and more memorabilia, with Carbonaro describing it as “one giant flea market with all kinds of collectibles.” And it won’t just be from the Carbonaros, people can rent tables at the store for $35 a day.
Even without a confirmed name or an actual launch, the store is still open, Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 pm.
- Wonder Woman Dazzles In Her Justice League Hot Toys Figure
- Stern Blows Us Away With New Guardians Of The Galaxy Pinball Machine
- Fraggle Rock Funko Pops Push The Nostalgia Button
- Are We Getting an Original Unity Omnibus from Valiant Entertainment? - January 21, 2018
- 24-Page Preview of Z-People #1, Another of Sitcomics’ 64-Page $3.99 Comics - January 21, 2018
- More from Glenat’s Conan the Barbarian Series Starting This Year - January 21, 2018
- Hannah Blumenreich’s Official Free Comic Book Day 2018 Poster - January 21, 2018
- Jeepers Creepers by Marc Andreyko and Kewber Baal, from Dynamite in April - January 21, 2018