After months of teasing and speculation fueled by the streaming giant and understandable changes made in light of the tragic October 1st mass shooting in Las Vegas, Netflix has set Friday, November 17th as the launch date for the 13-episode first season of Marvel’s The Punisher.
To coincide with the announcement, Netflix and Marvel Studios released a new trailer for the show’s inaugural season that you can see here:
The show’s release date has been a closely guarded secret since Marvel and Netflix began promoting the series with a redacted premiere date in September, though some speculated that the streaming service would drop the season either during New York Comic Con (October 6th) or the Friday before Veteran’s Day (November 10th). The mass shooting in Las Vegas forced Netflix to change their plans, including cancelling their Comic-Con panel/event.
The 13-episode series is set to establish Castle’s own piece of the Netflix/Marvel universe, giving viewers a better opportunity to get to know Castle more as a man than as just a killing machine. For series lead Jon Bernthal, this season is about Frank trying to open up more and care more for those around him — but the Punisher aspect of him is something that Frank is going to find himself having to lean on once again:
“During this show, nobody is who they appear to be… This season is much darker as it goes, it gets darker and darker and more visceral. The show takes you on this journey of Frank becoming more and more human again and then shutting off and shutting off and going back to what works for him, and the place where he kind of belongs, and I think that’s a place of solitude and of darkness and destruction. It’s going to get into as dark and as brutal a place as you’ve ever seen in the Marvel world, I can promise you that.”
The Punisher features Bernthal, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Deborah Ann Woll, Ben Barnes, Jason R. Moore, Michael Nathanson, Jamie Ray Newman and Amber Rose Revah. Steve Lightfoot serves as the series showrunner, with Jeph Loeb as executive producer.
- Charmed Season 1, Episode 2 ‘Let This Mother Out’: Interesting Dynamic Marred by Glaring Clichés - October 23, 2018
- Ryan Murphy Updates Son’s Cancer Fight, Donates $10M to Hospital - October 23, 2018
- John Wesley Shipp’s ’90s Flash Joins CW’s Arrowverse ‘Elseworlds’ Crossover - October 22, 2018
- Saturday Night Live: 8 Halloween Sketches (Because Christmas Sketches Would Be Silly) - October 22, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Episode 3 ‘Warning Signs’ Review: Weak Morality Debate, Too Many “Rick-as-Jesus” Allegories - October 22, 2018