Over the weekend, Forgotten Empires dropped a bit of a frustrating bombshell on the fans of Age Of Empires. In their latest blog entry, the developers announced that the game’s Definitive Edition was going to be delayed indefinitely, with no formal plans to release it anytime soon. Below is a snippet from the post, but that’s got to frustrate people who tried out the closed beta and were looking forward to the release this week, even with all the reported issues they were having. Right now, I wouldn’t put any faith into their “early 2018” promises, either. Wait for a hard date to be confirmed before you get your hopes up on this one.
The challenge of re-releasing a classic is just that: it’s a classic and it deserves to be treated with careful reverence. At the same time, in a living, thriving genre, norms continually evolve, technology advances, and player expectations change. This is as true for RTS as for any other genre. So, the challenge is to recreate the experience not as it *actually* was but as we all remember it. How can we modernize the game while preserving the fun, discovery and magic of that first experience? To that end, rather than a final release of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on October 19, we will instead be inviting thousands more players from the community into our closed beta between now and launch to allow for more in-depth testing across single player campaign, multiplayer balance, fine-tuning the lobby, etc.
- A Closed Beta Now Available For 'Hand Of The Gods: SMITE Tactics'
- Call of Duty: WWII And AC Origins Top This Holiday's Most Anticipated Games' List
- Brass Tactics Is Now Available For Pre-Order
- 'Age Of Empires IV' Announced With A New Trailer
- Microsoft Gives Out Their Plans For Gamescom 2017
- Microsoft Will Only Put Games On Steam 'When It Makes Sense'
- Bandai Namco Unveil Kane’s First Jump Force Pics - October 22, 2018
- The Classic Tetris World Championship Has a New King - October 22, 2018
- MediEvil is Supposed to Get An Update Sometime in the Next Few Weeks - October 21, 2018
- Tekken 7: Fated Retribution – Round 2 Will Hit Japan in February - October 21, 2018
- Ubisoft Shutting Down Online Services for a Few Old Titles - October 21, 2018