Amidst the doom and the gloom suffered by some in the industry, this teasing video from Dublin City Comics on the moment of their seventh birthday seemed to promise that they too were closing up the shop, citing unpicked up pull lists, Marvel lenticular covers, Trump and Brexit…
But it was all a feint, that Dublin City Comics are opening a second location in the city, Dublin City Comics 2, specialising in second-hand items and referencing the name of the new store. A much bigger location for displaying all their goods, imports, toys, back issue comics, statues, whatever will fill the walls. And they’re buying too.
You’ll find the new store 103-104 Capel Street, just down the road from the original still-running store at 46 Bolton Street.
“This is us fighting back for everything we have”.
Of late Diamond Comic Distributors have been pushing successful stores to open in new locations. Considering this is just down the road, and probably won’t be ordering anything from Diamond, it may not be exactly what they meant. But it’s a positive sign of a business that is doubling down. Or Dublin down.
I should probably think that wordplay through. Oh, balls to it. Press publish…
Bleeding Cool regularly marks the passing of comic book stores, but also the birth of new ones. Do let us know the state of comic book stores in your community.
- A Familiar Character Is Set To Discover That Peter Parker Is Spider-Man – Again (SPOILER) - October 22, 2017
- Marvel Comics To Get A New Fictional Eastern European Country (Punisher SPOILERS) - October 22, 2017
- Lying In The Gutters, 22nd October 2017 – Blink And You’ll Miss Her - October 22, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, 22nd October 2017, Marvel Legacy – “A Gamble We Lost Badly” - October 22, 2017
- So How Does Loki Become Sorcerer Supreme For Marvel Legacy Anyway? (SPOILERS) - October 21, 2017