The unstoppable juggernaut that is PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has succeeded in taking the game to the top of Steam’s current player listings by breaking the 2 million concurrent players mark.
It’s the first Steam game to do so, beating out the likes of DOTA 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Team Fortress 2. While an impressive benchmark on its own, the success of PUBG so far just indicates how little this game is going to slow down. Prepare to see it popping up in the news, on the Steam store, and on streams for a long while to come.
And while 2 million users might not sound like much stacked against Rainbow Six Siege’s 20 million, it was only two years ago that DOTA 2 was the first game to break 1 million users on Steam. Part of that is because Rainbow’s stats come only from total downloads (a marker that isn’t too far off from PUBG which has over 10 million total downloads) and the rest comes down to availability. Rainbow Six Siege, much like every other Ubisoft title, is a multi-platform game. PUBG is only available on Steam, at least for now. So with a smaller platform base, the fact that PUBG has done so well is pretty damn impressive.
The huge numbers for a Steam game are attracting a lot of attention. PUBG is coming to consoles thanks to a partnership with Microsoft, and many other games have started adding their own Battle Royale elements. Including Epic Games’ Fortnite, which is currently under possible legal threat from PUBG‘s developer Bluehole. However, one major difference between the games is that Fortnite is free to play, and on consoles, while PUBG is still an early access PC game. Which just means that PUBG‘s continued success is even better.
In other PUBG news, last week the game was plagued with server issues to the point the development team issued an apology on its official blog.
- Epic Games Is Suing A 14-Year-Old Cheater & Mom Is Pissed
- Ubisoft Lays Out The Plans For Year Three Of 'Rainbow Six Siege'
- Ubisoft Reveals The Next 'Rainbow Six Siege' Operator
- 'Fortnite' Celebrates Passing 20 Million Players
- Ubisoft Shows Off "Operation White Noise" For 'Rainbow Six Siege'
- Climbing & Vaulting Abilities Are On The Way For 'PUBG'
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds To Do Cheater Maintenance Tonight
- 'Fortnite' Reveals Their "Fortnitemares" Halloween Event
- 'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds' Latest Patch Changes Item Spawn Rates
- Unique Social Gay RPG Gaydorado Fills an Odd Niche - March 20, 2018
- Elder Dice, Bringing a Bit of Eldritch Horror to All Your Tabletop Games - March 20, 2018
- Halo vs. Larry Niven’s Ringworld — Just How Similar Are They? - March 20, 2018
- Kitty Powers’ Love Life Review: Like The Sims but More Relationship-Focused - March 20, 2018
- Light Tracer Review: A Pretty, Kid-Friendly VR Puzzle Platformer - March 20, 2018