ABC has given the go-ahead for the pilot The Real Fairy Godmother, with American Gods‘ Kristin Chenoweth signed to both star in and produce the project. Once Upon A Time‘s Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner will write and co-executive produce. Cathy Yuspa and Josh Goldsmith will serve as showrunners, with Universal Television producing the pilot.
In ABC’s The Real Fairy Godmother, Chenoweth’s lead character is described as:
“…a self-absorbed “real housewife”who learns that she’s descended from a secret order of Fairy Godmothers and has an inescapable destiny to use her magical abilities to help those in need. As she begrudgingly executes her assigned weekly missions, she slowly begins to realize just how superficial and morally bankrupt her actual life is and, to the confusion of her dysfunctional family and friends, tries to get them all to be better people.”
Zadan/Meron Productions’ Craig Zadan and Neil Meron will also serve as executive producers, with the pair having recently worked with Chenoweth on NBC’s live musical broadcast Hairspray Live!. Mark Nicholson, Zadan/Meron Productions’ head of development, will serve as co-executive producer.
With roles in projects as diverse as American Gods, Pushing Daises, and BoJack Horseman, Chenoweth is no stranger to either genre television or to the experience of working outside of the “The Big Three.” The new television landscape represents a horizon of opportunities for her, and Chenoweth is excited for it:
‘It was all about the three. The Big Three. Now it’s almost like “don’t do that.” I mean, you do, but you know what I mean? There are no more rules. I like that. There are no more rules. I find myself more driven to shows that are on the cable. And I just did a pilot for a major network and I appreciate what all of them give, but what I like is that there are more choices.”
- Dead Man Blogging 402: Bleeding Cool’s Fear the Walking Dead Live-Blog! - April 22, 2018
- [Tribeca 2018] A Look at HBO’s Westworld Season 2 Red Carpet Event - April 22, 2018
- A.P. Bio Season 1, Episode 11 ‘Eight Pigs and a Rat’ Review: I Am Jack’s Snitch - April 20, 2018
- Dexter Plays It Safe, Big Poppa Trump, ‘Dead’ Endings, and More! [The Weekly Static s01e36] - April 20, 2018
- Dexter’s Michael C. Hall Isn’t Playing It ‘Safe’ in Netflix’s Mystery-Drama Series - April 20, 2018