Hollywood continues to get the “royal” treatment, as Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars, New Mutants) has been tapped to pen Amblin Entertainment’s adaptation of Stephen King and Peter Straub’s horror-fantasy novel The Talisman. Although Boone is currently on the project solely to write the screenplay, there is a strong possibility that he could also be brought aboard as the film’s director. Frank Marshall is set to produce the film, with Michael Wright serving as executive producer.
Published by Viking in November 1984, The Talisman was nominated for both the Locus and World Fantasy Awards in 1985. King and Straub followed up with a sequel, Black House (2001); and a third and final book is planned.
Here’s a brief description of King and Straub’s The Talisman:
On a brisk autumn day, a twelve-year-old boy stands on the shores of the gray Atlantic, near a silent amusement park and a fading ocean resort called the Alhambra. The past has driven Jack Sawyer here: his father is gone, his mother is dying, and the world no longer makes sense. But for Jack everything is about to change. For he has been chosen to make a journey back across America–and into another realm.
One of the most influential and heralded works of fantasy ever written, The Talisman is an extraordinary novel of loyalty, awakening, terror, and mystery. Jack Sawyer, on a desperate quest to save his mother’s life, must search for a prize across an epic landscape of innocents and monsters, of incredible dangers and even more incredible truths. The prize is essential, but the journey means even more. Let the quest begin. . .
Boone gained notoriety as a “double threat” after he wrote and directed the box office hit The Fault in Our Stars. He recently spearheaded Fox’s New Mutants with Anya Taylor-Joy; and also wrote The Pretenders from James Franco. Amblin Entertainment had originally planned to adapt the novel for television, but felt film was the better venue for the story.
- UPDATE: Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross Cover The Halloween Theme. Listen Now!
- Stranger Things Teases A Final Trailer For Tomorrow To Celebrate Friday The 13th
- Taking Confession 304 ‘The Tombs’: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Season 3 Live-Blog! - July 15, 2018
- Showtime Offers 10 Minute Preview of Sacha Baron Cohen’s ‘Who Is America?’ (WATCH HERE) - July 15, 2018
- Preacher Rewind 303: A Look Back at Bleeding Cool’s Thoughts on ‘Gonna Hurt’ - July 15, 2018
- ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ Season 13 Gets First Teaser, Key Art - July 13, 2018
- AMC Sets ‘Walking Dead’ Superfan Yvette Nicole Brown as Interim ‘Talking Dead’ Host - July 13, 2018