Freddy Valle wrote for Bleeding Cool from Nw York Comic Con,
IDW Publishing held its first town hall on Sonic the Hedgehog the comic book series at NYCC. It was announced this summer that IDW would be picking up the series after Archie Comics had ended its partnership with Sega.
The panel consisted of Joe Hughes (Editor), Chris Ryall (Chief Creative Officer), Michael Cisneros (Licensing Specilaist), and Aaron Webber (Social Media Manager). The panel was moderated by Steven Scott (IDW PR Manager).
The panelists discussed how the recent partnership will bring about “brand new characters, with brand new stories”. The series will not pick up where it left off, but rather will start fresh, with new numbering. The move is meant to give “old fans and new fans a jumping off point”.
On whether or not the comic will tie in with the video games, “Sonic comic is built in a world controlled by us [IDW], allowing us to tell more compelling stories — that doesn’t mean there won’t be moments that don’t tie in with the game.”
When asked whether or not old fan favorites, such as Sally Acorn, would make a return, IDW responded: “The storytelling possibilities are endless.”
One of the biggest concerns was whether or not IDW would be placing any restrictions on the new series. The panelists stated “We didn’t put any hard and fast rules… we approach things case by case.” They intend to tell stories That stay true to their characters.
The biggest reveal of the hour was announcing Ian Flynn as head writer of the Sonic. Flynn had previously written for the series with Archie Comics. Upon this bit of news the audience exploded with excitement and applause. It was certainly cause for celebration to have a veteran returning to the series.
The first issue of Sonic comics is set to debut April 4, 2018.
- Sonic the Hedgehog's Future to Be Revealed at SXSW
- NYCC 2017 From A First-Timer: "I've Never Been More Proud To Be A Geek"
- Avatar Press Has 753 Comics On Sale On Comixology Right Now - July 20, 2018
- Dale Eaglesham’s Shazam With Geoff Johns in November – and a Killing Zone That Will Span a Political Century - July 20, 2018
- The Men (and It Is The Men) Who Design the Marvel Costumes That Everyone Cosplays From – Marvel Studios 10 Years Panel at SDCC - July 20, 2018
- Everything You Knew About Marvel Comics Was Wrong – #MarvelDeclassified On Monday - July 20, 2018
- San Diego Zoo Joins In the Comics Exclusives With Vixen And The Justice League: Wildlife Heroes - July 20, 2018