Freddy Valle wrote for Bleeding Cool from Nw York Comic Con,
IDW Publishing held its first town hall on Sonic the Hedgehog the comic book series at NYCC. It was announced this summer that IDW would be picking up the series after Archie Comics had ended its partnership with Sega.
The panel consisted of Joe Hughes (Editor), Chris Ryall (Chief Creative Officer), Michael Cisneros (Licensing Specilaist), and Aaron Webber (Social Media Manager). The panel was moderated by Steven Scott (IDW PR Manager).
The panelists discussed how the recent partnership will bring about “brand new characters, with brand new stories”. The series will not pick up where it left off, but rather will start fresh, with new numbering. The move is meant to give “old fans and new fans a jumping off point”.
On whether or not the comic will tie in with the video games, “Sonic comic is built in a world controlled by us [IDW], allowing us to tell more compelling stories — that doesn’t mean there won’t be moments that don’t tie in with the game.”
When asked whether or not old fan favorites, such as Sally Acorn, would make a return, IDW responded: “The storytelling possibilities are endless.”
One of the biggest concerns was whether or not IDW would be placing any restrictions on the new series. The panelists stated “We didn’t put any hard and fast rules… we approach things case by case.” They intend to tell stories That stay true to their characters.
The biggest reveal of the hour was announcing Ian Flynn as head writer of the Sonic. Flynn had previously written for the series with Archie Comics. Upon this bit of news the audience exploded with excitement and applause. It was certainly cause for celebration to have a veteran returning to the series.
The first issue of Sonic comics is set to debut April 4, 2018.
- What The Fashionable Sheldon Cooper Will Be Wearing This Winter - October 18, 2017
- Frank Cho, Drawing Harley Quinn Covers Longer Than He Would Have Done On Wonder Woman - October 18, 2017
- DC Comics To Reprint Deathstroke Vol 3: Nuclear Winter TPB Over Missing Page - October 18, 2017
- IDW Issues A Recall Of Kid Lobotomy #1 Gold Foil Covers, Asks Retailers To Rip Them Off - October 18, 2017
- Eric Zawadzki And Ryan Lindsay’s Graphic Novel, Eternal, From Black Mask January 2018 Solicits - October 18, 2017