Freddy Valle wrote for Bleeding Cool from Nw York Comic Con,
IDW Publishing held its first town hall on Sonic the Hedgehog the comic book series at NYCC. It was announced this summer that IDW would be picking up the series after Archie Comics had ended its partnership with Sega.
The panel consisted of Joe Hughes (Editor), Chris Ryall (Chief Creative Officer), Michael Cisneros (Licensing Specilaist), and Aaron Webber (Social Media Manager). The panel was moderated by Steven Scott (IDW PR Manager).
The panelists discussed how the recent partnership will bring about “brand new characters, with brand new stories”. The series will not pick up where it left off, but rather will start fresh, with new numbering. The move is meant to give “old fans and new fans a jumping off point”.
On whether or not the comic will tie in with the video games, “Sonic comic is built in a world controlled by us [IDW], allowing us to tell more compelling stories — that doesn’t mean there won’t be moments that don’t tie in with the game.”
When asked whether or not old fan favorites, such as Sally Acorn, would make a return, IDW responded: “The storytelling possibilities are endless.”
One of the biggest concerns was whether or not IDW would be placing any restrictions on the new series. The panelists stated “We didn’t put any hard and fast rules… we approach things case by case.” They intend to tell stories That stay true to their characters.
The biggest reveal of the hour was announcing Ian Flynn as head writer of the Sonic. Flynn had previously written for the series with Archie Comics. Upon this bit of news the audience exploded with excitement and applause. It was certainly cause for celebration to have a veteran returning to the series.
The first issue of Sonic comics is set to debut April 4, 2018.
- Extended Preview of Axis & Atlas #1, the New Titan Comic That’s “a Cross Between Asterix and Bone” - December 15, 2017
- Comic Store In Your Future: Getting Rid of the Dead Shoplifters Before the Secret Shopper Arrives - December 15, 2017
- Sir Derek Jacobi to Play the Voice of God in Good Omens TV Series - December 15, 2017
- Marvel Comics Asks Retailers to Hold on to Ed Piskor’s Corner Box - December 15, 2017
- Tales of Tomorrow: Bringing Comics, Cosplay, and Coffee to the Four Corners - December 15, 2017