One of the most fun things about New York Comic Con is the kinds of swag you can get as part of the marketing campaign for a movie or TV series.
Outside the Javits Center on Friday, people in yellow jackets were giving out free cartons of drinking water. Boxed drinking water in cartons are now a thing in America. The water is purified, so there’s no chlorine or metals in it. The cartons are made from recycled paper. This product is now in supermarkets and convenience stores across the country.
But who was paying for this free giveaway?
Wait, there’s a picture of a missing person on these cartons that’s not on the cartons in shops.
Dirk Gently, who had gone missing at the end of the first season of his TV series.
Now it becomes clear. BBC America is behind this bit of viral marketing, paying for free swag — in this case, water for con-goers in need of hydration — all to promote the upcoming second season of Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, premiering on October 14th.
So how much do you think I’d get if I flog it on eBay?
Aaaaaand I’ve drunk it already.
What? I was thirsty.
- Hayao Miyazaki to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association - October 23, 2018
- Look! It Moves! – The Symbols and Meanings of Halloween - October 21, 2018
- Yannick Paquette on the Difference Between Grant Morrison and Brian Bendis – NYCC18 - October 5, 2018
- The Girl Who Danced With Death at New York Comic Con - October 5, 2018
- Pictures from Artist’s Alley at NYCC - October 4, 2018