DC mastermind and Doomsday Clock writer Geoff “Jeff” Johns was on hand at New York Comic Con to discuss the upcoming book and answer questions from the crowd. And he used the opportunity to fire a shot across the bow of rival Marvel Comics, whose latest super-mega-crossover event, Secret Empire, saw Captain America revealed to be a Hydra agent and leading the fascist organization in a takeover of the United States.
But that won’t be happening in Doomsday Clock.
“Superman’s not gonna be a Nazi or anything like that,” Johns told the crowd to hoots and applause.
Earlier in the evening, Johns was asked how the election of Donald Trump affected Doomsday Clock, and Johns rambled his way through a best possible effort to avoid injecting politics into the series (even if Watchmen itself was steeped in them).
“Everything going on today is kinda insane,” Johns said, as we did our best to transcribe while he frantically jumped from subject to subject. “I love comic conventions. Everyone comes here because they love it. If the world was always about that we’d be in a pretty good place. We can’t have comic conventions every week though. Well, we could. They do actually have them. I know. But yeah, really, I was on the set of Wonder Woman in England, and we were shooting. I’m glad you guys went to that movie by the way. Gary Frank flew out to England, he lives in Italy by the way, and he met me and we walked around the set for an hour. We talked about it, and I gave him the story ideas, and I said, ‘I’m not sure. I know there’s something there but I don’t feel like I have to do it yet.’ And he said, ‘if you don’t feel like you have to do it, I don’t feel like I have to do it.’ We left and we had dinner and it kept sticking in my head and the election happened in November and a few things followed it and the whole thing just came in my head. I called Gary and I said, I have the story. I pitched it to him and he said I have to draw it and that’s how I signed on really. But it took a while and it takes a while to write. There’s so much internal pressure.”
Well said, Geoff.
Read the first six pages of Doomsday Clock here.
- Eminem, Yuge Fantastic Four Fan, Compares Trump To The Thing In Epic Takedown
- Doomsday Clock Is Set On The Weekend Of The Release Of The Death Of Superman #75
- Johns: No Crossovers. Not An Event. The Only Thing To Read Before Doomsday Clock Is Watchmen
- All The Fully Lettered Pages Of The Doomsday Clock Ashcan, Right Here, Right Now
- Rorschach Returns In Doomsday Clock
- See The First Six (Unlettered) Pages Of Doomsday Clock From NYCC
- Stand Your Ground Laws Tested in Next Week’s Immortal Hulk #9 - November 17, 2018
- Stark Unlimited is the New Apple in Next Week’s Tony Stark Iron Man #6 - November 17, 2018
- The Legacy of the Batpenis in Next Week’s Infinity Wars: Sleepwalker #3 - November 17, 2018
- A Hulkverine Heel Turn in Next Week’s Weapon H #10? - November 17, 2018
- In Next Week’s Web of Venom: Carnage Born #1, Hell is Children in Cages - November 17, 2018