For nearly 50 years, Steven Spielberg has changed the way we experience movies. Through films as diverse as Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Schindler’s List and Bridge of Spies, Spielberg has mostly let his craft to the talking for him…until now. The director finds himself in front of the camera as the focus of Spielberg, HBO‘s feature-length documentary that means to show fans more of the personal side to the man behind some of their favorite films.
Directed by award-winning documentarian Susan Lacy (American Masters) and produced by Lacy, Emma Pildes and Jessica Levin, Spielberg is set to premiere on October 7th, exclusively through HBO and its affiliates (HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand).
Looking to draw back the curtain on a life and career that’s impacted so many for so long, Lacy recorded nearly 30 hours of exclusive interviews with Spielberg on a wide range of topics. The director is given the opportunity to open up about his childhood influences; discuss the difficulties he had transitioning from his success in television into film; examine what it was like to be known as “Mr. Blockbuster” and how that influenced him to take on more socially conscious work; and look back at the ways working in Hollywood shaped him personally.
The documentary also includes clips and behind-the-scenes footage from many of Spielberg’s films, including: Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET: The Extra-Terrestrial, Jurassic Park, and Saving Private Ryan.
Lacy didn’t solely rely on Spielberg for her documentary, however. The documentarian also included insights and perspectives from Spielberg’s friends, colleagues and family members. Ranging from actors and directors to producers and industry insiders, the lineup included: J.J. Abrams, Christian Bale, Drew Barrymore, Cate Blanchett, Francis Ford Coppola, Daniel Craig, Daniel Day-Lewis, Brian de Palma, Laura Dern, Leonardo DiCaprio, Richard Dreyfuss, Ralph Fiennes, Harrison Ford, David Geffen, Tom Hanks, Dustin Hoffman, Holly Hunter, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Ben Kingsley, Kathleen Kennedy, George Lucas, Liam Neeson, Martin Scorsese, Oprah Winfrey and Robert Zemeckis.
- Ready Player One: Final Trailer Full of Pure Imagination
- Steven Spielberg and Ernie Cline Talk Ready Player One, Plus NEW FOOTAGE
- Anthony Bourdain Sits Down To Dinner With Francis Ford Coppola
- These 7 Close Encounters Of The Third Kind Photos Mean Something
- Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy Calls For Industry-Wide Commission To Combat Harassment And Abuse
- ‘The Politician’: Ryan Murphy Casts 4 More for Ben Platt/Gwyneth Paltrow Netflix Series - July 16, 2018
- Sean Penn Series ‘The First’ Gets Launch Date, First-Look Images from Hulu - July 16, 2018
- AMC Offers First Looks at Fear the Walking Dead Season 4 Ahead of SDCC - July 16, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Adds Tony Nominee Lauren Ridloff as Connie - July 16, 2018
- ‘Preacher’ Preview: Herr Starr Schools Humperdoo as Allfather Eyes Jesse - July 16, 2018