Mel Brooks made some interesting comments on his YouTube podcast, Diversity & Movies, yesterday.
The legendary director said that political correctness would prevent a movie like Blazing Saddles from being made today.
“It’s OK not to hurt the feelings of various tribes and groups,” said Brooks, encouraging viewers to donate money to his Patreon. “However, it’s not good for comedy. Comedy has to walk a thin line, take risks. It’s the lecherous little elf whispering in the king’s ear, telling the truth about human behavior.”
Of course, while Brooks’ comments have sparked debate on Twitter, the claim that Blazing Saddles couldn’t be made in 2017 stands as a challenge to Hollywood, whose goal is to remake every classic film or TV show in existence.
“We’re already talking to Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Ryan Gosling about starring in a tongue-in-cheek reboot of Blazing Saddles,” said one studio official, probably. “And we’re trying to get Melissa McCarthy to play Hedley Lamarr.”
The idea of remaking Blazing Saddles has sparked an arms race amongst studios to develop the technology to use holographic images of the deceased Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder for cameo appearances, while Netflix is reportedly considering snapping up the rights to the project so that they can utilize Bojack Horseman in the scene where Mongo punches out a horse, creating a shared cinematic universe between the two properties.
At press time, Fallout Boy was hard at work on a title track for the movie’s soundtrack, even though no one had actually contracted them to do so. We’ll keep you updated on this developing story.
- LeBron James Goes In On Trump "We As American People Need To Come Together Even Stronger”
- Casey Jones Fans Can Now Take Another Step Towards Becoming Him, Thanks To NECA
- Bruce Lee Returns to Darby Pop for All-Ages ‘Walk of the Dragon’ - March 21, 2018
- Dark Horse to Collect Jennie Wood and Jeff McComsey’s Flutter in 1 Volume This October - March 21, 2018
- BOOM! to Publish Kara Leopard and Kelly and Nicole Matthews’ ‘Pandora’s Legacy’ - March 21, 2018
- Action Comics Writer Dan Jurgens Calls Out Fat People on Airplanes - March 21, 2018
- Storybook Romance Ends in Heartbreak as Strowman, Bliss Eliminated from WWE Mixed Match Challenge - March 21, 2018