If you’re at least a little familiar with the Deadpool/Cable dynamic, then you know that our time-travelling mutant bounty hunter/mercenary Cable usually serves as the deadly serious and painfully dour counterpart to our “merc with a mouth” Deadpool. Cable’s a soldier who goes into every situation with a plan, while Deadpool goes into most situations without a clue. One’s burdened with painful backstory, while the other is freed from the burden of sanity.
If we can read into the tea leaves of the most recent pic posted by Josh Brolin to his Instagram account, we might be seeing a cinematic Cable in Deadpool 2 who’s ready to give Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) a serious run for his money when it comes to being a few sandwiches short of a picnic:
“Oh my God, wait until you see “Deadpool”. It’s SO funny!!!” #cableinsanity #cableswole #cablepowered #cableporn”
Cable was originally teased for the sequel by Reynolds during the end credits of Deadpool, with Keira Knightley‘s name jokingly (?) mentioned as a possibility. Over the course of the next few months, a number of names would be bandied about social media, with Stephen Lang (Avatar, Don’t Breathe) considered an online favorite for awhile. Brolin was announced for the role in April 2017, with fans getting their first look at his Cable four months later:
For Deadpool 2 director David Leitch, the key to making the sequel work lies with Brolin and Reynolds having the same kind of chemistry on screen that the characters share on the printed page:
“Cable has a really interesting and complex backstory. Obviously, no film could ever encapsulate the entire backstory, so I think we’ll find the first introduction is about who this character is. When you look at the Cable and Deadpool comic book series, you see how there is banter between them. Whether they are on opposite sides or not, they are definitely formidable to each other. One is frustrating to the other. The chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and Josh Brolin is amazing. It’s not unlike what you see in the Cable and Deadpool series.”
Under Leitch’s direction, Deadpool 2 stars Reynolds, Brolin, Zazie Beetz, Morena Baccarin, TJ Miller, and Leslie Uggams. The film is set to open on June 1st, 2018.
- Shaolin Cowboy Gets The Coolest Figure Imaginable From 3A
- Is Jon Bernthal Returning to The Walking Dead for Andrew Lincoln’s Season 9 Exit? - June 18, 2018
- Family Guy Showrunners Rich Appel, Alec Sulkin on Season 17: Adam West Farewell, Brian Married, and More - June 18, 2018
- Preacher Season 3 Isn’t for Anyone “Easily” Anything [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Week] - June 18, 2018
- ‘Pet Sematary’ Directors Dennis Widmyer, Kevin Kolsch Break Ground on Filming - June 18, 2018
- Emma Roberts Teases “Coven’s” Madison Montgomery for AHS Season 8 - June 18, 2018