In 2016, IDW Publishing fulfilled the wishes of longtime comic book fans by finally bring Rom back to comics. And artist Bob Layton provided a couple of covers to the effort, drawing a subscription variant for Rom #2 and the regular cover for Rom #5.
But it seems there was more Rom plans for Layton which, for whatever reason, never got used. Layton took to Twitter to show off the unused work:
— Bob Layton (@Bob_Layton) September 18, 2017
But IDW aren’t the only ones to feel it’s better to have Bob Layton artwork and not use it than to need Bob Layton artwork and not have it. Layton has recently shown off unused work from Dynamite:
— Bob Layton (@Bob_Layton) September 17, 2017
And for Valiant:
— Bob Layton (@Bob_Layton) September 16, 2017
It’s interesting to see this unused artwork from a legendary artist, but it’s worth noting that this isn’t a new phenomenon. Layton even recently shared an unused Iron Man cover and splash from back in 1980:
— Bob Layton (@Bob_Layton) September 7, 2017
The cover that did make the cut:
If you’re looking for a break from the never-ending culture wars on Twitter, you could do worse than to follow Bob Layton, whose feed is a daily treasure trove of artwork.
- Marvel Catches Typhoid Fever in October… but What Is It? - July 17, 2018
- Guardians of the Galaxy Director Says Trump is Worse Than Thanos - July 17, 2018
- Dark Horse, Not Marvel, to Publish a Wreck-It Ralph Comic Book - July 17, 2018
- Black Panther’s Shuri Gets Her Own Comic at Marvel in October by Nnedi Okorafor and Leonardo Romero - July 17, 2018
- Marvel Teases Mysterious “Blind Spot” for Tomorrow, July 18th - July 17, 2018