In 2016, IDW Publishing fulfilled the wishes of longtime comic book fans by finally bring Rom back to comics. And artist Bob Layton provided a couple of covers to the effort, drawing a subscription variant for Rom #2 and the regular cover for Rom #5.
But it seems there was more Rom plans for Layton which, for whatever reason, never got used. Layton took to Twitter to show off the unused work:
— Bob Layton (@Bob_Layton) September 18, 2017
But IDW aren’t the only ones to feel it’s better to have Bob Layton artwork and not use it than to need Bob Layton artwork and not have it. Layton has recently shown off unused work from Dynamite:
— Bob Layton (@Bob_Layton) September 17, 2017
And for Valiant:
— Bob Layton (@Bob_Layton) September 16, 2017
It’s interesting to see this unused artwork from a legendary artist, but it’s worth noting that this isn’t a new phenomenon. Layton even recently shared an unused Iron Man cover and splash from back in 1980:
— Bob Layton (@Bob_Layton) September 7, 2017
The cover that did make the cut:
If you’re looking for a break from the never-ending culture wars on Twitter, you could do worse than to follow Bob Layton, whose feed is a daily treasure trove of artwork.
- X-Men: Bland Design – X-citing X-Position X-ists in X-Men Blue #23 - March 18, 2018
- Dieselfunk Dispatch: An Overview of Comics Distribution Channels - March 18, 2018
- X-Men: Bland Design – Building the Wall in Astonishing X-Men #9 - March 18, 2018
- X-Men: Bland Design – New Mutants: Dead Souls Isn’t Your Average Movie Cash-In - March 18, 2018
- Ahead of Ultimate Deletion, Matt Hardy Seeks Advice from Giraffe to Defeat Bray Wyatt - March 17, 2018