Carlos Muñoz Portal, a 37-year old location manager working on finding filming spots for season 4 of Netflix’s Narcos, was found dead in Mexico. The death was first covered by local news before getting picked up by trade publications like Variety and Entertainment Weekly.
Netflix said the following in a statement they released:
We are aware of the passing of Carlos Muñoz Portal, a well-respected location scout, and send our condolences to his family. The facts surrounding his death are still unknown as authorities continue to investigate.
This was definitely not an accident. El Pais, a local site, reported that Portal was scouting in a rural area outside of Mexico City where murders have taken place. His body was discovered in the trunk of a compact car having been shot several times. The body was discovered hours after he had left for the site. Local officials say that there are no witnesses due to the area being scarcely populated.
Portal had previously scouted for films like Fast & the Furious, Spectre, Sicario, Resident Evil: Extinction and Apocalypto.
Season 3 of Narcos focused on the Cali Cartel from Colombia and filmed quite a bit in that country. The fourth season is said to be focused on the Juarez cartel from Mexico. No word if the production will continue to look for places in Mexico to shoot.
- Luc Besson’s Europacorp to Adapt Ruiner from Reikon Games - December 11, 2017
- Saudi Arabia to Allow Movie Theaters After a 35-Year Ban - December 11, 2017
- Charlie Cox and Elodie Yung Talk Daredevil and Elektra - December 10, 2017
- Warner Bros. Confirms DC Film Lineup, Including Justice League Dark - December 10, 2017
- New Orleans Saints Bountygate Whistleblower Hired by NFL - December 10, 2017